Forums - OpenCL in Adreno GPU SDK

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
OpenCL in Adreno GPU SDK
furkansahin
Posted: Fri, 2016-03-25 06:41

Hi Everyone,

I want OpenCL based development with Adreno GPU SDK. I recently download Adreno GPU SDK v5.0. Then I opened AdrenoSDK.sln with VS2010. But Samples\OpenCL projects are unavailable in the solution. OpenCL projects names are listed in solution but their code are unavailable. Do you have any suggestion to resolve my problem?

Best regards

• Up0
  • Down0
jdonald
Posted: Wed, 2016-04-06 14:44

Related question: Our old Adreno SDK v3.7 download from June 2014 contains OpenCL headers in Development/Inc/CL. However, the latest v5.0 does not contain these header files. I've looked through the Windows, OS X, and Linux packages on https://developer.qualcomm.com/software/adreno-gpu-sdk/tools

Was OpenCL support intentionally removed from the Adreno SDK? This seems a bit different SDKs like Mali or NVIDIA which do contain OpenCL headers and a linkable library.

Should we thus get the headers from Khronos, and the shared library from a target Snapdragon Android device? If we use the headers from https://github.com/KhronosGroup/OpenCL-Headers do we have much assurance that these will actually work? That is, does Qualcomm test OpenCL on recent architectures like Snapdragon 820? Should we expect OpenCL 2.1 compatibility, or perhaps better to fall back to OpenCL 2.0 or 1.2?

• Up0
  • Down0
a46sgsd
Posted: Thu, 2016-05-12 01:07

Is there anyone from QCOM reading this post? This post was sent 7 weeks ago, just can't believe this is a official developer network supported by QCOM.

Please let us know if QCOM has officially dropped OpenCL support for Adreno GPUs.

• Up0
  • Down0
junesup
Profile picture
Posted: Thu, 2016-05-12 16:41

We are in the process of updating documentation and headers for OpenCL.  In the meantime, please use headers from Khronos registry.  Note that Snapdragon 820 and other chipsets that have Adreno 5xx GPUs support OpenCL 2.0 Full profile. 

- Adreno OpenCL team

• Up0
  • Down0
jdonald
Posted: Thu, 2016-05-12 16:45

Thanks for the followup, junesup.

a46sgsd, to follow up on what junesup said, the headers from Khronos are working in our tests so far. I also heard from our side channel that Snapdragon 820 / Adreno 530 is passing full OpenCL 2.0 conformance tests.

• Up0
  • Down0
a46sgsd
Posted: Fri, 2016-05-13 20:09

Thanks for the update.

GIven that there are RS, Metal advertised by OS providers, and no roadmap available for public on Adreno opencl support, we are not sure about the future of opencl on QCOM platforms...

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.