Sign up to be notified of updates to XR products.
Virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) are being used in more industries than ever including games, education, health care, and manufacturing. Now VR and AR are converging in various combinations to bring new immersive extended reality (XR) experiences to users.
Our Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Mobile Platforms help developers create premium XR experiences such as VR and AR across a range of mobile devices, while our Snapdragon XR1 and XR2 Platforms are dedicated mobile XR platforms that allow developers to create high-quality, cost effective XR solutions for mainstream use.
Snapdragon mobile and VR platforms can be found in existing XR devices such as the HTC VIVE Focus head mounted display (HMD), and Lenovo Mirage Solo HMD.
Below we outline the tools we have available to create and enhance your XR experiences.
XR SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
We have a number of resources available to help you create and optimize your XR applications and solutions for truly immersive experiences:
- XR and VR Tools:
- Snapdragon VR SDK – provides developers with access to optimized, advanced VR features on Snapdragon VR devices.
- App Performance Optimization:
- Specialized Core Optimization: SDKs for specific processor cores are also available:
- Adreno GPU SDK - excels at repeating similar computations on large quantities of data, as in graphics processing and machine learning.
- Adreno SDK for Vulkan – provides the SDK for the Adreno GPU with an implementation of the Vulkan graphics API that runs on Snapdragon processors. Vulkan facilitates cross-platform graphics development.
- Hexagon DSP SDK - best suited to processing digital signals from the outside world in real time, like those generated by a smartphone camera and microphone.
- Computer Vision:
- FastCV Computer Vision SDK – adds computer vision capabilities such as gesture, recognition, face detection, and text recognition.
XR HARDWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
We have a number of resources available to help you create XR applications and resources for different types of devices:
- Mobile Platforms: these HDKs are dynamically featured Android development platforms designed to provide an ideal starting point for creating high-performance mobile devices and applications:
- XR-Specific Reference Designs: we have reference designs and development kits designed for specific XR-fueled device use cases:
- Snapdragon XR2 Reference Design - a reference design powered by the Snapdragon XR2 5G Platform. This head-mounted device is engineered for software development and testing in a form factor that is accurate for deep interaction with AR and VR content.
- Snapdragon XR1 Reference Design – the Snapdragon XR1 HMD is based on the Snapdragon XR1 Platform, our first chipset dedicated to eXtended reality (XR) and designed to accelerate high-quality video, audio and interaction.
- Snapdragon 845 VR Development Kit - a standalone all-in-one VR headset with a Wide Quad HD (WQHD) AMOLED head mounted display (HMD) with an integrated Snapdragon 845 processor. It includes dual front-facing cameras for six degrees of freedom (6DoF) room scale head tracking and eye tracking.
- Snapdragon 835 VR Development Kit - a standalone all-in-one VR headset with a single panel AMOLED head mounted display (HMD) and an integrated Snapdragon 835 processor.
Explore these links about the latest trends and key features of XR for more ideas and insight into your own projects:
- Meet the Snapdragon XR1, the world's first dedicated XR platform
- On Device Motion Tracking for Immersive Mobile VR
- Next Gen Technologies driving Immersion
Here is a great case study featuring augmented reality smart glasses from Youbiquo and Lantronix that features the Qualcomm APQ8053Pro SoC and the Lantronix Open-Q 626 μSOM.
- Perception Technologies to Realize XR Vision
- Boundless photorealistic mobile XR over 5G
- What Consumers Want in their Next XR device
- How to take advantage of XR over 5G: Understanding XR Viewers