5G is poised to make quite an impact on our world with its faster, fiber-like speeds, lower latency (near one millisecond), greater capacity to accommodate billions of IoT devices, as well as higher reliability and availability. Developers will be able to use 5G’s enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB) for new immersive XR experiences, create applications with mission-critical control that can transform industries, and build massive IoT applications.
We have a number of development tools listed below to help you with your projects, and some additional resources to get you up to speed on all that 5G offers.
Regardless of the connectivity choice you make, we have a number of development resources available to help with your project:
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X60 5G Modem-RF System: brings you its 3rd generation 5G solution built to allow more networks to achieve faster, low-latency 5G. Snapdragon X60 supports every available 5G network and can take advantage of your carrier’s 5G advancements to bring you the fastest available 5G. With global multi-SIM and Voice-over-NR support, Snapdragon X60 gives you a future-ready 5G phone for virtually any 5G network, anywhere. This modem is to be used in conjunction with the Snapdragon 888 5G Mobile Platform.
- Snapdragon 888 5G Mobile Platform: this platform packs industry-leading innovations in 5G, AI, gaming, photography, and the many more premium experiences you deserve. Featuring our completely rearchitected 6th gen Qualcomm® Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine, the Snapdragon 888 5G delivers a total of 26 TOPS performance, 3 times performance-per-watt improvement and 16 times larger shared AI memory. Be sure to check out the Snapdragon 888 Mobile Hardware Development Kit.
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X55 5G Modem: this second generation 5G modem builds on the Snapdragon X50 modem by providing communication over 5G, LTE, 3G and 2G, and support for 5G NR sub-6 GHz in Frequency Division Duplex and Time Division Duplex. It also adds support for the 26 GHz band in addition to the 28 GHz and 38 GHz bands, allowing OEMs to build a 5G-based device that can work in any region globally. This modem is to be used in conjunction with the Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform.
- Snapdragon 865 Mobile Platform: our next-generation 5G-ready (when used with the Snapdragon X55 5G Modem) flagship mobile platform for premium devices. The Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform includes enhanced features for mobile gaming, AI, graphics processing, and security. Be sure to check out the Snapdragon 865 Mobile Hardware Development Kit.
- Snapdragon X50 5G Modem: this 5G modem supports the mmWave signal range providing up to 5 Gbps. This modem is to be used in conjunction with the Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform.
- Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform: the industry’s first commercial 5G mobile platform, includes resources for AI, image processing and video that you can use to make your apps smarter and more responsive.
- The Snapdragon 855 platform features RF Front-end solutions from QTI with support for mmWave and frequencies below 6 GHz. All of this powers most of the first wave of 5G devices, including phones from major Android OEMs who are either selling or announced flagship 5G phones.
- Check out the hooks for 5G in Android Q through enhancements to APIs in the ConnectivityManager class designed to allow your applications to detect 5G network availability and performance on Android devices.
Latest Blogs and Podcasts
Explore these links about the latest trends and key features of wireless technologies and tools for more ideas and insight into your own projects:
- 5G Future of Mobile Games eBook. We have teamed up with the IMGA (International Mobile Gaming Awards) to provide this report filled with details on how 5G is impacting mobile gaming. It also includes insight from industry influencers and game changers from companies like Supercell, Cotton, Activision, SuperEvilMegaCorp, and others that share their excitement of the 5G opportunity with mobile games.
- Advanced 5G Technology Demonstrations. Check out this YouTube video playlist to see some cutting-edge advanced 5G technology demonstrations that will help realize the potential of 5G.
- Intelligently connecting our world in the 5G era. See the wide expanse of use cases ─ narrow-band to high-performance IoT and everything in between, that 5G can enable, serving as the unifying connectivity framework for diverse applications in the 5G era.
- Connectivity Options for IoT Developers (eBook) - our new eBook, a primer on connectivity technologies, provides a good overview of how 5G works with other connectivity options.
- What's in the future of 5G
- How to take advantage of XR over 5G: Understanding XR Viewers
- How will 5G transform Industrial IoT
- The role of 5G in private networks for Industrial IoT
- Thrive in a 5G world with Qualcomm Snapdragon
- 2019 Qualcomm Snapdragon Tech Summit Livestream - Day 1
- First 5G data connection with the Snapdragon X50 5G modem
Qualcomm Snapdragon is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries.