Forums - QCA9377-7 Bluetooth FCC Testing

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
QCA9377-7 Bluetooth FCC Testing
jshenry1963
Posted: Tue, 2022-07-19 09:33

Hello All,

First part of my question, where do I find the actual released official Qualcomm QCRT Radio Test Tool? I google it and find dozens of download sites, but none are from Qualcomm sites.... don't want to download a virus...

Second part of my question is related to doing what QCRT does, not in Windows, but on a Linux based system....

I have a device where I'm using a QCA9377-7 USB based board, running on a Linux box. The package BlueZ provides what I need for the use of the device, so, the end product is working as expected.

It is a new board, (based on a board that does have FCC approval) so I now have to get this FCC approved. 

The original board, a USB based board, was tested by the vendor using Qualcomm's QCRT on a Windows machine.

But I need to send the entire product with the board installed in my linux based system to the FCC tester.

My question is, has anyone done similar? and passed FCC testing? on a Linux based product (probably using BlueZ)? and the 9377-7 USB type device?

I know how to send adverts, but, is that sufficient for FCC testing? I can send BLE adverts but they hop channels 37, 38, 39, and are about 1280ms apart. 

Last time I had a Bt device certified I had to get it to transmit the adverts a LOT more frequently, and on the same single channel, one channel at a time.

I can use btmgmt, and/or hcitool, 

Thoughts? Tips?

Thanks

John

• Up0
  • Down0
rregadam
Posted: Wed, 2022-08-03 03:32

Hi John,

QDART can be downloaded from Qualcomm createpoint . Download the latest rev. 

QDART tools includign QRCT run on WIndows , not on LINUX as of now. Heared most of the OEMs use HCI in case no QRCT access. 

Br,
Ravi.

• Up0
  • Down0
wolfram.wadepohl
Posted: Wed, 2022-08-03 22:23

Hi,

what's HCI and how can I get it. Thanks

• Up0
  • Down0
rregadam
Posted: Thu, 2022-08-04 04:52

Hi,

HCI - Host to Controller I/F

Its part of Host Stack and it is transport layer B/W Host stak and controller

If using LEA , the Host stack will have HCI as well part of stack.

Br,
Ravi.

• Up0
  • Down0
jshenry1963
Posted: Fri, 2022-08-05 05:42

I'm very familiar with using the Bluez tools on Linux such as command line hciconfig, hcitool, etc., and also the HCI api such as hci_inquiry.

I was trying to see if anyone had found a good sequence of the Bluez tools hci commands to set up a BLE Advert that goes out on a specific selected channel with a high repetition rate.

I can use the hci tools to generate adverts, but so far all I've figured out is how to get the BLE advert to run "normally", e.g. it cycles every 1280ms (or something like that) from channel 37, then 1280ms later to channel 38, then 1280ms later to channel 39.

I understand with the test tool on Windows you can set it to stick on a specific channel, say channel 37 only, and have it repeat the advert at a much higher rate, e.g. 100ms or 250ms apart.

I've looked at several items online via google, and a lot of them do deal with the hcitool cmd xx xx xx but they are all just doing the normal advert method, even if I change the len value (len is kind of a misnomer, it really means time between packets) but something just isn't right in my command and tryng to figure out what other linux users had done to send their BT device off to FCC to get it tested.

The reason for me needing to know is this is an end user device that they have no idea it is running linux. They just have a gui that shows the customer stuff. So for the previous bt device, we just added an easter egg secret key sequence press timed for them to put that bt into a non stop BLE channel 37 broadcast. It was more of a micro on a board, and this was all done within it's firmware.

Here, I have to handle this like I am sitting at a linux terminal window, or using the HCI api, such as hci_inquiry, etc.

Thanks for the bandwidth, and any suggestions.

• Up0
  • Down0
jshenry1963
Posted: Fri, 2022-08-05 05:51

fyi, also experienced in tools such as btmgmt that use the newer DBus interfacing, just haven't found a magic key set of instructions to set for channel 37 (or 38 or 39 specifically/individually) at a high rate.

Thanks

John

• Up0
  • Down0
juveriya.siddiqua
Posted: Sat, 2022-12-31 02:14

Hi John,

Now, are you able to test BT for FCC with max power setting?

I am facing the similar issue, Please refer to the below link for more details.

https://developer.qualcomm.com/forum/qdn-forums/hardware/qca9377/70280

--

Thank you,

Juveriya siddiqua.

• Up0
  • Down0
jshenry1963
Posted: Wed, 2023-01-04 07:56

Hello Juveriya siddiqua

Very very sorry for such a late response.

At the moment this is on hold.

I was able to get it to send adverts but not at full power. In fact it is almost invisible viewing with a spectrum analyzer so it is unusable for a real FCC test.

I'd like to get both BT HS/Standard and separately BLE adverts/transmits/ etc get to work before I need to FCC test.

You stated in your other discussion that you tried using HCI, but had issues, can you post your HCI command sequence to get it to set up to send the transmits? I can compare with what I have and might find a solution together.

Thanks,

John

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.