Forums - SNPE DSP Performance

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
SNPE DSP Performance
manasa
Posted: Mon, 2018-02-26 16:40

*/

I'm running GoogleNet  (caffe models) on DSP using SNPE 1.12 on

Samsung Galaxy S8+ ( Android Version 7.0 , CPU: Octa-core(4 x 2.3 GHz Kryo & 4 x 1.9 GHz Kryo)  , GPU Adreno 540 , DSP: Haxagon 682 )

And observed that GoogleNet does  38.4 images/sec. However , when I set the performance profile to "NeuralNetwork.PerformanceProfile.HIGH_PERFORMANCE " , I do not see any improvement. Is there something I'm missing ?

Thanks

• Up0
  • Down0
jesliger
Posted: Fri, 2018-03-02 04:30

High performance mode for DSP results in the DSP attempting to run at higher clock rates and increased memory bandwidth.  For some networks there can be a significant difference, and for others not as much.

Did you use the benchmarking tool?  Did you run multiple inferences in your test or just one?  

• Up0
  • Down0
manasa
Posted: Mon, 2018-03-05 13:06

*/

Thanks for the response Jesliger.

1. Did you use the benchmarking tool?

I'm using the android example provided in the snpe-sdk and timing this function

final
Map<String, FloatTensor> outputs =
mNeuralNetwork.execute(inputs);

2. Did you run multiple inferences in your test or just one?

I'm running 101 iterations and averaging the performance omitting the first run.

3. For some networks there can be a significant difference, and for others not as much.

Will you be able to point me to one such network in which i can see the difference.

• Up0
  • Down0
raingomm
Posted: Tue, 2018-12-04 21:57

Hi manasa,

Do you need to root the phone to use the DSP runtime on Samsung phones?

Sorry for asking an unrelated question.

• Up0
  • Down0
raingomm
Posted: Tue, 2018-12-04 21:57

Hi manasa,

Do you need to root the phone to use the DSP runtime on Samsung phones?

Sorry for asking an unrelated question.

• Up0
  • Down0
manasa
Posted: Wed, 2019-01-09 10:24

Hi raingomm , 

I was able to use DSP back when I haven't updated the Samsung device. After the update, looks like the  DSP is not accessible anymore. 

I did not try rooting the device though. 

Thanks

Manasa

• Up0
  • Down0
gesqdn-forum
Posted: Tue, 2019-09-10 04:51

Hi,
Yes, the benchmarking tool provided by NPE SDK is to know the inference time of individual network layer in architecture and how they are performing on different run times.
The performance profiles like "HIGH_PERFORMANCE" will improve the performance at a cost. The cost can be time/power/resource. In "HIGH_PERFORMANCE" case the performance comes at the cost of power as it increases the clock cycles per second.
You have mentioned that you didn't find a significant difference in different runtimes, we suggest you to compare each layer inference time of the network on different run times. What makes SNPE more effective is the optimized way of computing. The reason behind your observation can be that the layers may have no alternate way of computing which is efficient than existing.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.