Forums - Uncomprehended DSP timing value in benchmarking scripts

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncomprehended DSP timing value in benchmarking scripts
lunarcake
Posted: Sun, 2018-01-14 23:32

Hi,

I got uncomprehended results when I executed benchmarking python scripts that is provided from SNPE v1.10.1.

I used converted dlc of resnet-152 and tried to comprare benchmark result value between GPU and DSP on Snapdragon 835.

The results shows that convolutional layers have more time than ReLU layers (almost zero) in GPU.

However, ReLU layers have more time than convolutional layers (almost zero) in DSP.

I got feeling strange and did not find way to get clue of it.

Thus, I would like to ask that I got right benchmarking results whether or not.

Additionally, I also would like to know correct benchmarking method if I got wrong.

Thanks in advance.

• Up0
  • Down0
jesliger
Posted: Mon, 2018-01-15 04:46

The DSP merges layers together during initialization time, so that it can run more efficiently.  One easy merge to do is to merge a convolution followed by a relu layer, into a single layer.  An artifact of this is that the Conv + Relu time is mainly accounted for in the Relu layer time.  It's just the way things are implemented.  Rest assured that most of the time you are seeing is due to the Conv layer. 

The GPU does the same thing, but the way it's implemented, the time for Conv + Relu shows up in the Conv layer, and Relu will show zero.

There is mention runtime layer optimizations by merging, in the user's guide, in the benchmarking chapter. 

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.