Forums - -mfpu=?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
-mfpu=?
wn
Posted: Tue, 2015-12-08 08:54

According to the "Snapdragon_LLVM_ARM_37_Compiler_User_Guide", the compiler flags to be set to get best performance are simply:

-Ofast -mcpu=krait or -mcpu=cortex-a57

However if i build with just such flags, i get the warning:

clangSnapdragon_LLVM_for_Android_37++.exe: warning: Vectorization flags ignored because armv7/armv8 and neon not set [-Wvectorizer-no-neon]

If i set -mfpu=neon of course the warning goes away, but what is the best parameter for -mfpu for Krait and Snapdragon 810 cores?

Incidentally, corrently i get about 10% better performance both on krait as well as cortex-a57 by using GCC 4.9 instead of LLVM for Snapdragon.

• Up0
  • Down0
Raja Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2015-12-08 09:30

For all 32-bit compilation where you would like Auto vectorization, you need to specify -mfpu=neon since this flag is required to generate SIMD instructions in 32-bit mode. For 64-bit mode, there is no need to specify -mfpu.

If you can share with us your kernel loop, we can help identify the performance degradation you are seeing with Snapdragon LLVM

Thanks

• Up0
  • Down0
wn
Posted: Wed, 2015-12-09 01:14

Thanks, unfortunately i cannot do that as there isn't a single kernel loop, this is a complex computer vision project and there are a few dozen performance critical algorithms.

I haven't done any profiling but i suspect a bottleneck could be instruction decoding or instruction cache misses, i get better performance in mthumb mode (interestingly the best performance with GCC is achieved optimizing for cortex-a53).

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.