Forums - Caller Name for VOIP implementation

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caller Name for VOIP implementation
tpresley
Posted: Tue, 2023-05-02 14:30

I've been told that it's not possible to get the incoming caller's name with an IoT modems. I figured this would be a standard feature if using the modem for a VOIP solution. Is this in fact a limitation of IoT modems? Are they truly that different from phone modems in the way they handle calls? How would I be able to see the incoming SIP INVITE from the carrier? Is it possible with these modems?

• Up0
  • Down0
aus.tinpatrick711
Posted: Mon, 2023-05-08 02:52
IoT modems and phone modems are designed for different purposes and have different capabilities. While phone modems are specifically built to handle voice calls and often have features like caller ID, IoT modems are primarily focused on providing data connectivity for Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Therefore, IoT modems may not have the built-in capability to display incoming caller information or handle voice calls in the same way as phone modems.

In a typical IoT solution, the modem's primary function is to establish and maintain a network connection for the device, rather than handling voice calls. This means that the modem might not have direct access to the incoming SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) INVITE message from the carrier. SIP INVITE messages are typically handled by VoIP servers or PBX systems, which can extract and process caller information.

However, it's important to note that the capabilities of IoT modems can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. Some advanced IoT modems may offer additional functionalities, including the ability to handle voice calls or provide access to certain call-related information. If you have a specific IoT modem in mind, it would be best to consult its documentation or contact the manufacturer to determine its exact capabilities and whether it can retrieve incoming caller information.  Tell Happy Star Survey

• Up0
  • Down0
tpresley
Posted: Mon, 2023-05-08 07:27

In general I understand everything you said. I've talked to a few IoT module manufacturer engineers and they all refer back to Qualcomm. While I understand that the Quectel EC25 ( a very popular module ) isn't the same thing that's installed in an Android phone. It is being used for VOIP ggateways. I would argue, that is a clear telephony implementation. I keep getting the answer that it's a modem limitation. I understand that the SIP INVITE that I'm looking for is layer 7, but I still have people saying it can't be done. In my mind it's just layer 7 traffic. I should be able to log it. Unless I'm just missing something.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.