Forums - Re-localization on a 3D map

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Re-localization on a 3D map
amedeo.fabris
Posted: Mon, 2023-03-13 02:13

Hello,

I am contacting in the hope to gathering some information regarding the software compatible with Qualcomm's product QRB5165M.

Background Information: 

1) I am using a VOXL 2 Flight Deck QRB5165M(https://www.modalai.com/products/voxl-2-flight-deck?variant=40503626039347) on a Sentinel dev drone (https://docs.modalai.com/sentinel-quickstart/);
2) I am using stereo cameras to build 3D a map of the environment and a tracking camera to perform VIO;

The problem I am having:

I am doing some pre-flight checks with the drone to check how the localization works in the voxl-mapper. I noticed that the drone is not able to relocalize itself within a loaded map that I did earlier. What I did is the following

- I switched on the drone in a specific position and I moved it around to build a 3D map using the stereo input;
- When I was satisfied with the map I saved it and I switched off the drone;
- I moved the drone to another point and I switched it on;
- I loaded the 3D map that I made in the previous powercycle and I moved around the drone to see whether it was able to relocalize itself in the map or not.

Despite the map was updating while I was moving around, the drone was not relocalizing itself and it ended up creating a "false" map of the environment.
What I would like to achieve is to make the drone relocalize itself within a map without booting up at the exact same position in which the drone was switched on at the time of the creation of the map. Hence, I want the drone to be able to relocalize within a map with respect to the map's origin. Are there any libraries compatible with VOXL2 that can provide this feature?
Thank you in advance for your response!

• Up0
  • Down0
jddennis
Posted: Mon, 2023-03-13 08:41
Can you please also post this question in the Robotics RB5 forum as well? https://developer.qualcomm.com/forums/hardware/robotics/qualcomm-robotics-rb5-kit
  • Up0
  • Down0
zpang
Posted: Mon, 2023-03-13 19:06

I noticed you are using VIO instead of vSLAM. VIO only tracks the posisiton and does not re-localization in the map. If you want to relocalization, you should try some vSLAM solution. 

• Up0
  • Down0
amedeo.fabris
Posted: Mon, 2023-03-20 03:40

Yes, indeed my question was if there are any available open-source vSLAM solutions that are compatible with the devkit that I described above and tha can be integrated in voxl's pipeline without too much effort.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.