Forums - Accuracy of simulator

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Accuracy of simulator
martip
Posted: Thu, 2017-03-23 07:45

Hi,

The accuracy of the simulator from Hexagon 2.0 SDK is according to the simulator user guide:

The simulator is not cycle-accurate. With cache modeling enabled it is cycle-
approximate, with current performance within 2% of cycle-accuracy (and
projected performance of less than 1% difference).
My question is, what type of errors is these 2%, random or systematic?
I reran a program multiple times with the simulator and the statistics from the simulator were identical between the runs.

A follow-up question is, without cache modeling, what is the accuracy of the simulator?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Martin Persson
  • Up0
  • Down0
Helu
Posted: Thu, 2017-03-23 08:45

Hi martin,-

​I would think (!) the simulator would be quite deterministic - provided the test data also are the same. And why don't you upgrade the SDK to version 3.1 ?

Thinking about it - if the test data are of random nature then the cache may show quite large variations.
A related topic - is it possible to switch cache modeling on / off by any option?

​BR,
Henrik

• Up0
  • Down0
martip
Posted: Fri, 2017-03-24 04:58

Hi, and thanks for your quick reply.

I would think (!) the simulator would be quite deterministic - provided the test data also are the same. 

Yes, I would agree on that the simulator seems to be deterministic, which should indicate that there is some systematic error which results in the +-2% stated in the manual.

And why don't you upgrade the SDK to version 3.1 ?

I use the simulator to simulate performance of code for the Hexagon v4 DSP, and I don't see any reason to upgrade. Is there any benefit with the simulator included in SDK 3.1?

A related topic - is it possible to switch cache modeling on / off by any option?

For the simulator provided in SDK 2.0, you can use the --timing argument to simulate caches and processor stalls, 
from the simulator user guide:

--timing:
Model the following processor micro-architecture as part of the simulation:
– Cache (instruction, data, L2)
– Processor stalls
– DMT mode
When timing is enabled, the simulation more accurately models the operation of
the processor hardware. This impacts the speed of the simulation, and improves
the accuracy of the profiling statistics collected

Best Regards
Martin 

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.