Forums - Strange Vulkan queue family in Adreno 730

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Strange Vulkan queue family in Adreno 730
tuketet
Posted: Tue, 2023-04-18 07:13

Hi,

I have seen that some Android devices with Adreno 730 have a strange queue family: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/displayreport.php?id=20262#device

This queue family has very limited capabilities: no GRAPHICS, no COMPUTE, not even TRANSFER.

I'm left wondering what could be the intended use case for this queue family.

I have also asked in StackOverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/75996360/what-could-be-the-purpose-o...

Cheers!

• Up0
  • Down0
jleger
Posted: Mon, 2023-07-31 10:39

The Adreno driver does expose a queue family with onlyVK_QUEUE_SPARSE_BINDING_BIT and the spec points out that such queues are allowed:

Quote:
While some implementations may include VK_QUEUE_SPARSE_BINDING_BIT support in queue families that also include graphics and compute support, other implementations may only expose a VK_QUEUE_SPARSE_BINDING_BIT-only queue family.

The intended use case is queue is for applicatoins to manage sparse bindings in a separate queue if they so choose.   Whether this is warranted depends on the specific application use-case.   The "supports present" shown on gpuinfo relates to vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfaceSupportKHR which is exposed/implemented by the platform rather than by the driver.   I agree the end-result of a queue family that supports sparse bindings plus presents is a little unexpected.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.