Forums - Foveated Rendering + MSAA on Oculus Quest 2

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foveated Rendering + MSAA on Oculus Quest 2
kotowate
Posted: Sun, 2022-05-08 07:52

When I setup foveated rendering with non-MSAA texture, it works all fine. I am able to set focal points, in the far enough tiles pixel density going down is noticable.

The problem arises when I try to use MSAA. There are no visible or performance effects of using foveated rendering. The setup process of foveated rendering is the same in both cases.

I use separate frame buffers = texture + render buffer (depth+stencil) for each eye. As GLES implicitly resolves multisample textures, there are no additional textures for multisampling. The only difference is that for MSAA I use render buffer for depth+stencil, while for non-MSAA it is a texture.

Foveated rendering is handled via QCOM_texture_foveated extension.

There is no glFlush that could disable foveated rendering but maybe there's something else I should be aware of?

Or maybe there's an extra step that has to be taken to make foveated rendering work with multisampling?

• Up0
  • Down0
kotowate
Posted: Tue, 2022-05-10 08:42

Stupid me. I used depth type that worked but was not compatible with MSAA + foveated rendering.

When initial implementation of foveated rendering didn't work, I must have tried changing various settings. Went through the code again and caught this one. Foveated rendering + MSAA works now but only if I use QCOM extension. Acceptable enough.

• Up0
  • Down0
DuBo
Posted: Fri, 2022-05-13 01:22

It is good to hear issue is solved now.

thanks
Bob Du

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.