Forums - Notice! request to update snapdragon s4 chip play for android 4.3.x - 4.4.x y future versions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Notice! request to update snapdragon s4 chip play for android 4.3.x - 4.4.x y future versions
jor1496
Posted: Tue, 2014-07-08 21:30
Hello people qualcomm is a pleasure to be among you 
I have suscribido here just to tell them that I made a request in the most 
famous platform requests "Change.org" 
the request is that you update the chip snapdragon s4 play because its components but especially the adreno 203 gpu are outdated in android 4.3.x, 4.4.xy because of that that we have these chips in our android devices do not have a performance and operation at 100%. As consumers we have the right to have the upgrade insurance and none of us want to read or hear the typical phrase "We have no intention dehacer an update", because with this request I am exercising my right and all "consumer rights" 

For more information read the request, have a good day

• Up0
  • Down0
Dave Astle
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2014-07-09 01:24

Hi,

I'm not sure what you're requesting. How are you proposing that we update existing devices?

• Up0
  • Down0
Reyse
Posted: Thu, 2014-07-17 09:59

Hi everyone!

I signed Jorge Romeros's request at change.org, nad I also interested in his petition.

We are interested in something similar like this thead:

https://developer.qualcomm.com/forum/qdevnet-forums/mobile-gaming-graphics-optimization-adreno/8081

Snapdragon S4 Play have GPU Adreno 203, which, as far as I know, doesn't have support in Android KitKat

As it was achieved in that request, at that time, there were no support for Adreno 203 in Android ICS. Something similar is happening with KitKat

As ii was requested in that thread, we are requesting either Qualcomm release the Adreno 203's driver sources in order the community update by ourselves the drivers or Qualcomm update the binary drivers to Android KitKat 4.4.x

Thank you for all you can do for all Snapdragon S4 Play users!

• Up0
  • Down0
jor1496
Posted: Thu, 2014-07-17 17:30
hello gladly apologize if did not understand, I'm using the google translator. 

Well what you want to say or ask, is to update the chip snapdragon s4 play some components but more GPU (Adreno 203) are outdated in these new versions of android, and made the request for you to see how many people want an upgrade . Since it's something that would benefit us all, including you. They are not asked to update the entire series of Adreno 200, just want an update of this chip but especially your gpu adreno 203
  • Up0
  • Down0
jor1496
Posted: Thu, 2014-07-17 17:40

thank you very much for your support, more and more people support us in this that is something obviously necessary 

I invite all who are against testing a kk on devices with this chip 
Example: Huawei y300/g510 and you will see the rage that give them not having a 100% performance
  • Up0
  • Down0
yowanx7
Posted: Sun, 2014-07-27 09:02

Driver support for the legacy Adreno 2xx series was discontinued, a developer from their driver team confirmed that earlier this year in another thread

On a side note, it's not up to Qualcomm to 'update' the graphics stack (KGSL) and blobs/libs of a particular device out there. That's the responsibility of the device vendor, pretty much nothing can be done if the manufacturer refuses to roll out an Android update with newer libs for its devices, that's what every SoC vendor will tell you in a PR fashion.

As far as I'm aware Qualcomm still used to issue updated blobs if their 'partners' requested them even if the SoC in question was fairly outdated, that's how the Snapdragon version of the Galaxy S3 managed to get KitKat and thus the updated KGSL2.7-compatible Adreno libs. They sure could continue to release new 2xx drivers but it wouldn't make sense since the vast majority of those devices have either themselves been long discontinued or the manufacturers not willing to support their devices with new Android releases.

After all, it's not like most vendors (especially Huawei) care about supporting their low end devices, those device feature the most basic hardware and low tier SoCs and are thus geared towards the masses and average joe who doesn't care about the "100% performance" factor or Android version as long as the device in question works for a couple of years or so until they get a beefier phone. Smartphone manufacturers go where the most of the money is and that's the high-end segment, reason for which those flagship devices have a much longer lifetime as far as updates are concerned.

Vendors want you to buy new their products with their newer more 'powerful and efficient' SoCs and tend to provide limited or no support for SoCs 2-3 generations behind, It's kind of a bummer for the open source community which provide aftermarket firmware but that's just how things work these days. This may be a little hard but as customer you should have invested in 'decent' phone that would get at least a year of software support from the manufacturer.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.