Forums - Thermal impact to qrb5165 operating frequency

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thermal impact to qrb5165 operating frequency
da.teng
Posted: Fri, 2021-09-10 03:59

I'm investigating the thermal impact to the qrb5165 SOC when the chip is operating under stress. My rb5 right now has LE installed. I built the standard Linux tool stress-ng to load the chip. What I found is under heavy load presented by the stress-ng tool, the operating frequency of the chip, as obtained from /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/{scaling_cur_frequency, cpuinfo_cur_freq} was not changing at all. This sounds too good to be true since I also obtained the power data from /sys/class/power_supply/usb/input_current_now and /sys/class/power_supply/usb/voltage_now, and I Do see the power scales down to 60%-80% of the idle power, when the stress tool was running. 

What I did to the settings is that I set the scaling_governor to "performance" which will guide the chips to work at the maximum frequency. But even with this setting, I do expect the frequency to scale down by the chip itself as a protection to the hardware, which was also suggested by the power scale down.

So my question is, is the scaling_cur_frequency or cpuinfo_cur_freq reporting the frequency of the cores correctly? What am I missing here? If anyone can shed some light on this it will be greatly appreciated!

• Up0
  • Down0
mita.rathod
Posted: Wed, 2021-09-15 10:56

hello customer,
"scaling_cur_frequency" or "cpuinfo_cur_freq" represents the CPU frequency block set by the software, which can represent the current frequency of the cpu.
let us know if you need more information

Regards

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.