Forums - Evaluating Qualcomm RB5 for embedded space application

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Evaluating Qualcomm RB5 for embedded space application
bradneuberg
Posted: Fri, 2020-12-11 13:00

I'm evaluating whether Qualcomm's RB5 is appropriate for an embedded space application. To do so I need to know the following characteristics that I'm unable to find on the RB5's technical data sheet - I _am_ able to find these numbers for competing embedded chips, such as the Nvidia Jetson TX2. I need to know these to do a fair comparison:

* TDP - What's the power consumption under the maximum theoretical load, in watts? Important in terms of power draw when doing max compute.

* Mass - What's the total system on module (SOM) mass? Mass is important for anything space related.

* Shock and vibration - is it clear how well the RB5 deals with different shock and vibrations? Important for anything space related as launch can be quite tough on equipment. For example, the Nvidia Jetson TX2 has the following shock and vibration characteristics listed: "Shock: 140G, 2ms; Vibration: 10Hz ~200Hz, 1g & 2g RMS"

Finally, has the Qualcomm RB5 or QRB5165 seen any space flight heritage, especially in Low Earth Orbit (LEO)? As a comparison, the Nvidia Jetson TX2 has seen several years of flight heritage on the International Space Station (ISS) in LEO.

Thanks! :)

Best,

Brad Neuberg

• Up0
  • Down0
mistry Moderator
Posted: Mon, 2020-12-14 09:18
Hi Brad,

Thanks for reaching out.
The QRB5165 is a new platform from Qualcomm so I am not sure if it is already used in an embedded space application.
There are Qualcomm platforms that were part of other embedded space applications including some from JPL and NASA.
For example, Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ Flight 801 platform is part of the Mars Helicopter Ingenuity

We are working on capturing some of the data that you have requested, and we will reach out to you soon.
We will post the data to this thread as soon as it is available.

Best Regards,
Rajan.
  • Up0
  • Down0
stan.lin_1
Posted: Wed, 2020-12-16 10:20

Hi Brad,

We have a few data currently. Other data may be provided later.

SOM weight: 18g

Best regards,
Stan

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.