Forums - Does this chip have updatable firmware?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does this chip have updatable firmware?
bhwithun
Posted: Tue, 2017-09-26 07:42

I haven't found any reference to firmware revisions for this chip.  There is a mention of "1.5KB OTP to eliminate an external flash".  I'm not quite sure how to parse that line item from the brochure. (qca9377-product-brief.pdf)

Does it mean a flashable firmware has been eliminated in lieu of this OTP?  (and is "OTP" referring to Open Telecom Platform?)

My underlying question is whether having this chip embedded in my device, do I need to plan to bring firmware updates to it of any kind if and when such firmware updates are made available?

• Up0
  • Down0
ddeepakk Moderator
Posted: Thu, 2017-09-28 07:46

Hi bhwithun,

OTP stands for One Time Programmable. It's an area in memory of the device which is programmed only once and is permanent. So the QCA9377 has 1.5 KB of OTP memory.

No, a flashable FW still exists and is always downloaded during device initialization/driver load.

You may decide on bringing up Firmware update in your device but generally there are no frequent Firmware updates. Firmware updates are made available whenever there is a critical fix.

Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
bhwithun
Posted: Thu, 2017-09-28 09:31

Good information, ddeepakk.  Thank you!

It sounds like installation of the firmware happens at startup time ("during device initialization").  If I understand correctly, some controller elsewhere on the device needs to push firmware to the QCA9377 as part of its system-startup procedure.

Can you point me to a document where the process of pushing the firmware to the 9377 is described?  I figure there's gotta be a document somewhere, but I've been unable to find it.

• Up0
  • Down0
ddeepakk Moderator
Posted: Thu, 2017-09-28 12:00

Hi bhwithun,

Driver helps to download the Firmware to the QCA9377.

Sorry, right now we do not have any doc explaining this procedure. It's a generic process that happens with most of the like devices.

Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.