Forums - RAM Dump Broken?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
RAM Dump Broken?
rabryn
Posted: Fri, 2023-02-24 11:40

Hello,

I'm attempting to use the RAM dump feature and have had no success.  Using the QCLI_demo application, I've set the PLATFORM_RAMDUMP_CONFIG to 0x00000002 to enable the saving of the RAM dump information to flash and NOT wait for UART/USB to extract it.  The reason I disabled the UART/USB function is because QDART locks up on my machine when the QCA4020 enumerates.  Additionally, I would prefer the QCA4020 reset and execute the application as normal (and not wait for a USB connection).

Using the qapi_Ramdump_Handle API call in the QCLI_demo I get "Platform: Failed to get ramdump state".  The only modification I added to the stock QCLI_demo applciation was to add a CLI command to perform an illegal memory access to initiate a fault.  I execute this command after setting up WiFi and networking.  I can ping my FTP server, but it seems that is not relevant because the API call indicates the RAM dump information is not present.

Here is the QCLI_demo output after I trigger a fault:

Platform$>
Platform: Failed to get ramdump state
Platform: ===========M4 coredump start===========
Platform: coredump version = [1]
Platform: os type=[4]
Platform: os version = [1]
Platform: arch version = [1]
Platform: error message = [Error Fatal, parameters: %d %d %d]
Platform: file name = [Exception Detected : Memory Management Fault]
Platform: line number = [0]
Platform: param[0] = [0]
Platform: param[1] = [0]
Platform: param[2] = [0]
Platform: ===========M4 coredump end===========
Platform:
Platform: ===========M0 coredump start===========
Platform: coredump version = [1]
Platform: os type=[4]
Platform: os version = [1]
Platform: arch version = [1]
Platform: error message = [Error Fatal, parameters: %d %d %d]
Platform: file name = []
Platform: line number = [66]
Platform: param[0] = [0]
Platform: param[1] = [0]
Platform: param[2] = [0]
Platform: ===========M0 coredump end===========
Platform:

Platform$>

Please provide a configuration that will save the RAM dump information to flash as well as a means of triggering the process to occur.  I would prefer to use the FTP mechanism to extract the RAM dump information.

Thank you,

Ryan

• Up0
  • Down0
rabryn
Posted: Wed, 2023-03-08 07:24

How much flash is required for the RAM dump information?  Is it a portion of the size of RAM?  All of RAM?  Please provide an the actual amount of flash that is required to save the RAM dump information, how to calculate it, and how to configure it.

I verified the "PLATFORM RAMDUMP CONFIG" is enabled in DevCfg_master_fom_out_cdb.xml.

<props id="11" id_name="PLATFORM RAMDUMP CONFIG" oem_configurable="true" helptext="Configure the RAM Dump. " type="0x00000002">

<!-- Mask - PPPPRRRT -->
          <!-- Where bits in 0xT represent following -->
          <!-- Bit 0: If set, enable the RAM dump via Uart/USB support otherwise disabled  -->
      <!-- Bit 1: If set, enable the RAM dump on QSPI Flash support otherwise disabled -->
      <!-- Bit 2 and Bit 3 are reserved for future use                                 -->
          <!-- Where bits in R are reserved for future use                                 -->
          <!-- Where bits in P represent the 16 bit USB PID                                -->
      0x900E0002
    </props>

I'm using the latest SDK, version 3.5.  I've verified the unit reboots upon fault and runs my application as expected when I set the above to 0x900E0002.  If I set it to 0x900E0003 I verified the unit reboots upon fault and enumerates as a USB device.  I say this to demonstrate the setting I'm changing is the correct one.

As indicated, the QDART application locks up on my machine so FTP seems to be the only option.

Again, I'm using an unmodified QCLI_demo application.  Ultimately I need to know if this functionality works at all.

Ryan

• Up0
  • Down0
rabryn
Posted: Wed, 2023-03-08 07:26

How much flash is required for the RAM dump information?  Is it a portion of the size of RAM?  All of RAM?  Please provide an the actual amount of flash that is required to save the RAM dump information, how to calculate it, and how to configure it.

I verified the "PLATFORM RAMDUMP CONFIG" is enabled in DevCfg_master_fom_out_cdb.xml.

<props id="11" id_name="PLATFORM RAMDUMP CONFIG" oem_configurable="true" helptext="Configure the RAM Dump. " type="0x00000002">

<!-- Mask - PPPPRRRT -->
          <!-- Where bits in 0xT represent following -->
          <!-- Bit 0: If set, enable the RAM dump via Uart/USB support otherwise disabled  -->
      <!-- Bit 1: If set, enable the RAM dump on QSPI Flash support otherwise disabled -->
      <!-- Bit 2 and Bit 3 are reserved for future use                                 -->
          <!-- Where bits in R are reserved for future use                                 -->
          <!-- Where bits in P represent the 16 bit USB PID                                -->
      0x900E0002
    </props>

I'm using the latest SDK, version 3.5.  I've verified the unit reboots upon fault and runs my application as expected when I set the above to 0x900E0002.  If I set it to 0x900E0003 I verified the unit reboots upon fault and enumerates as a USB device.  I say this to demonstrate the setting I'm changing is the correct one.

As indicated, the QDART application locks up on my machine so FTP seems to be the only option.

Again, I'm using an unmodified QCLI_demo application.  Ultimately I need to know if this functionality works at all.

Ryan

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.