Forums - QCA4020 acting as Azure IOT Edge running IOT Edge Runtime

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
QCA4020 acting as Azure IOT Edge running IOT Edge Runtime
arun.singh
Posted: Fri, 2020-05-29 04:08

Hi,

We are in the process of evaluating QCA 4020 so that we can plan to use in our Home Automation projects. Regarding these I have these specific queries :-

1. Can QCA 4020 act as IOT Edge Hub device running Azure Edge Runtime?
  2. Assuming that I connect BLE mesh network via QCA 4020 acting as Azure edge(if it supports), will each Mesh node  have its device twins on Azure IOT Hub?
  3. Is BLE mesh SIG compatible. If so can you please share SIG QDID or reference product where such certification has been obtained.
  4. Can I use any other BLE SIG compatible mesh nodes to form a mesh and then connect with QCA4020 or is BLE mesh qualcomm proprietary mesh protocol?
  5. Can QCA(CSR) 1010/1020 BLE devices form BLE mesh and connect to cloud via QCA 4020? 

Please help answer these queries to enable us to proceed for evaluation of these SOC's.

Thanks,

-Arun

• Up0
  • Down0
abhghos
Posted: Fri, 2020-05-29 05:51

Hi Arun,

There is support for BLEmesh (SIG) in QCA402x devices. In Qualcomm it is termed as QMesh. Please note that QCA402x does not support CSRmesh (Qualcomm Proprieatry Mesh)

Please note that CSR1010 does support QMesh sue to space constraints, but the CSR1020 support both CSRmesh and QMesh.

As the QMesh stack is developed with refernce to the BT SIG spec, it is expected  to interoperate with any qualified BLEmesh Node.

The QCA4020 is designed to supports both AWS and Azure. However there will be some effort needed in terms developing the a gateway out of the same.

The QMesh stack is not made available over the QDN Portal. You will need to be registered with an approved project within Qualcomm Createpoint to gain access to SDK which has the QMesh related example projects. I suggest you get in touch with local sales and business development team for the same.

Regards,

Abhishek Ghosh

• Up0
  • Down0
arun.singh
Posted: Mon, 2020-06-01 01:09

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for clarification on points 3,4,5. However I still need more clarity on points 1) & 2).

2. Assuming that I connect BLE mesh network via QCA 4020 acting as Azure edge(if it supports), will each Mesh node  have its device twins on Azure IOT Hub?

When you say that effort is needed to make QCA402x a gateway, are you referring to implemenation of Azure Edge Runtime on same(qca402x) or a normal BLE gateway. Our specific requirements is point (2) and either QCA402x acts as IOT edge hub(not a normal BLE gateway) or each BLE mesh node is IPv6 capable, something not possible with 6LowPAn in BLE mesh configuration.

Only via either of 2 options above can each node have its equivalent device twins on IOT Hub(Azure) and it is in this context we seek to evaluate QCA4020. Existing Qualcomm documentation mentions that QCA402x support Azure device C sdk but inorder for qca402x to act as IOT edge device, it need to support IOT edge runtime/sdk which requires container support on Windows or Linux as OS. I cannot find any information of IOT edge support on this SOC in your release notes or SDK documentation. 

Please confirm how is scenario  (2) possible on QCA402x?

Regards,

-Arun

• Up0
  • Down0
arun.singh
Posted: Thu, 2020-06-04 01:22

Hello,

Is there any update on below Query? Can you please refer to suitable documents that can help address below queries. an earlier response can help us unblock in QCA402x evaluations.

Thanks

Arun

• Up0
  • Down0
jbhanu Moderator
Posted: Thu, 2020-06-04 02:55

Hi Arun,

QCA4020 runs RTOS and does not support  Azure Edge Runtime .

Please downlaod our latest SDK from below link and kindly check our onboard demo having Thread feature .Kindly  let us know if any further query.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qca4020/tools-software

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.