Forums - Sending raw Wi-Fi management frames

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sending raw Wi-Fi management frames
draeman
Posted: Wed, 2019-08-28 13:54

Hello, I'm evaluating whether the QCA4020 might be appropriate for a device we're building.  I have a few questions that I can't quite glean from the documentation:

1) My application will create and send custom management frames while in a disconnected state. Is it possible to send custom management frames using qapi_WLAN_Raw_Send() or something similar?  I see that function can send beacon frames, but I'd like to be able specify the complete 802.11 header including the frame control field.

2) The QSPI specification (80-Y9381-7 Rev. H) states that qapi_WLAN_Raw_Send() can only be used in the 2.4 GHz band.  Is it correct there is no ability to send raw frames on a 5 GHz channel while in the disconnected state?

3) Does entering monitor/promiscuous mode work in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands?

4) Finally, looking at the device specificaiton (80-YA501-1 Rev. B) it's unclear to me whether there is an external SDIO interface that can be used to interface an SD Card to the device.  It's mentioned in section 1.5 "product feature details" but the interface is not shown in the main block diagram in section 1.3.

Cheers and thanks!

-David
Signalscape, Inc.

• Up0
  • Down0
c_rpedad
Profile picture
Posted: Tue, 2019-09-03 11:17
1) We support below 802.11 header types for a Raw mode transmission.
QAPI_WLAN_RAW_MODE_HDR_TYPE_BEACON_E Raw mode frame header is of type beacon.
QAPI_WLAN_RAW_MODE_HDR_TYPE_QOS_DATA_E Raw mode frame header is of type QOS data.
QAPI_WLAN_RAW_MODE_HDR_TYPE_FOUR_ADDR_DATA_E Raw mode frame header is of type 4 address data.

2) Yes, Raw mode is supported only in 2.4 GHz.

3) Monitor/Promiscuous mode work in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

4) As of now our software doesnt have support for SD Card to the device.
  • Up0
  • Down0
jbhanu Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2019-09-03 17:13

Hi David, 

what type of custom mangment frame you want to send ? 

Thanks

• Up0
  • Down0
draeman
Posted: Mon, 2019-09-09 12:47

Thank you for the response.  The supported header types should work for my needs.  Two quick follow-up questions:

1) Is the restriction on raw mode frames only being supported in the 2.4 GHz band due to a permanent hardware limitation, or due to limited firmware and/or SDK support that could get updated in a future release?

2) Similiarly, you mention that software does not support application use of an SD Card attached to the device.  Does this mean the microSD slot on the QCA4020 product development kit is not intended for use with microSD cards and will never support it, or is this a temporarily limitation of the SDK support?

If either of these limitations are only due to missing firmware/software support, do either appear on the development roadmap for a forthcoming release?

Thank you.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.