Forums - Uart no output running application

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uart no output running application
skyzhao
Posted: Wed, 2018-12-05 05:57

Hi,

My board is 4020, the issue is that serial port does not have any output when i run the application in autoboot mode. 

I follow the opration with qca402xcdb2x_development_kit_user_guide. I have completed building sample applications ,and flash image through USB, flash log are:

R:\QCA4020.OR.3.0_00011.1\target\quartz\demo\QCLI_demo\build\gcc>python ..\..\..
\..\..\build\tools\flash\qflash.py --comm 15
qflash.py Info: Generate partition table...
qflash.py Info: Generate FWD table...
[2018-12-05 21:15:02,111] INFO: Checking for files to add to the image for Firmw
are Descriptor Table 0 File:gen_fwd_table.py:673 Function:gen_xml_program
[2018-12-05 21:15:02,127] INFO: Done Generating XML file to program. File:gen_fw
d_table.py:711 Function:gen_xml_program
qflash.py Info: Download device programmer...
qflash.py Info: Device Programmer loaded successfully
qflash.py Info: Skipping to program image
qflash.py Info: Program flash. Please wait...
qflash.py Info: Flash programming complete!

I think it has been burned to flash successful.

When i follow the 3.7 section Run the application,serial port does not have any output.
POWER: J6 USB power source, J39 connect 2 and 3
                   J26 connect pins 1 and 2 for fixed +3.3V 
Serial: J18 Connect pins 2 and 3 for Debug UART
             J19 Connect pins 2 and 3 for Debug UART
             J91 Connect pins 1 and 2 for Debug UART
             J92 Connect pins 1 and 2 for Debug UART
and remove J34 

I don't know what critical step i have missed.

Best Regards
skyzhao

• Up0
  • Down0
c_rpedad
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2018-12-05 11:06

From the provided information, we could observe below:

> The flashing of the device is successful.
> However, the jumper settings defined for power are of QCA4024 device.
> Kindly make sure you have flashed the image to QCA4020 device and use 4020 jumper settings for power.

J6 USB Power Source (Option1)   J57 Connect pins 2 and 3 for J6 Power

LED_PWR                                             J20 Connect pins 1 and 2 to power up LED

Vbatt Select                                        J22 Connect pins 1 and 2 for fixed +3.3V

• Up0
  • Down0
skyzhao
Posted: Wed, 2018-12-05 16:58

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, i am sorry that i write the wrong setting table.

On my 4020 board jumper setting is as follow:

J6 USB Power Source (Option1)   J57 Connect pins 2 and 3 for J6 Power

LED_PWR                                             J20 Connect pins 1 and 2 to power up LED

Vbatt Select                                        J22 Connect pins 1 and 2 for fixed +3.3V

Serial:                                                     J18 Connect pins 2 and 3 for Debug UART
                                                                 J19 Connect pins 2 and 3 for Debug UART
                                                                 J91 Connect pins 1 and 2 for Debug UART
                                                                 J92 Connect pins 1 and 2 for Debug UART

Connect a Micro USB cable between port J6 on the CDB20 and a USB port on a Windows PC.
and another Micro USB cable between port J85 on the CDB20 and a USB port on the Windows PC.

I can see the two COM in the Windows Device Manager. I connect both COM through terminal, still no output.

I didn't do Flashing default images and file system image (optional) step, because there is an error
log:
R:\QCA4020.OR.3.0_00011.1\target\quartz\demo\QCLI_demo\build\gcc>python ..\..\..
\..\..\build\tools\flash\qflash.py --comm 15
qflash.py Info: Generate partition table...
ERROR:root:[Error 2] : 'fs.bin'
qflash.py Error: gen_part_table.py failed

Maybe there is't fs.bin, so i skip this step, I don't know if this step is necessary. 

Another question is that how do I determine if the program compiles correctly and runs.
I build the demo on Linux, the gcc versigon is 5.4.0, lower than 6.2 mentioned in the doc.
# Run the diag compaction script to generate the final ELF
DIAG Message Compaction...
python ../../../../../build/scripts/diagMsgCompact.py output/Quartz.elf ../../../../../bin/cortex-m4/diag_msg_QCLI_demo.strdb output/Quartz_nocompact.elf ../../../../../bin/cortex-m4/diag_msg.pkl Final > dictLog
Hashing...
python ../../../../../build/scripts/createxbl.py -foutput/Quartz.elf -a32 -ooutput/Quartz_HASHED.elf
Build Completed...
I think this demo is build correctly.
If build and flash is correct, maybe the program did't run in autoboot mode.

Best Regards,
skyzhao

• Up0
  • Down0
skyzhao
Posted: Thu, 2018-12-06 00:34

I have tried to build sample on Windows and flash the image through USB. It can run and show in the console.

The problems is that gcc version is not match. 

The demo can run if use gcc-6.2 build demo on windows. but it can't run if use gcc-5.4 build demo on Linux, at least the serial port has not any output. So, the gcc version must be 6.2?

I will try gcc version 6.2 on Linux.

Best Regards,

skyzhao

• Up0
  • Down0
c_rpedad
Profile picture
Posted: Thu, 2018-12-06 17:40

Thank you.
Kindly note the supported version is 6.2

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.