Forums - Problems Downloading Demo Applications to the SP140

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Problems Downloading Demo Applications to the SP140
jamesz
Posted: Mon, 2014-06-09 11:00

Hello,

I'm currently having troubles with the last step (4.4) in the SP140/SP141 Development Kit Installation and Configuration Guide.

When I try to download one of the sample apps my debugger pops up a J-Link error "Failed to get CPU status after 4 retries Retry?".

I have the DIP switches configured as shown for SPI in figure 1.1 of the guide.  I also have my debugger settings set to how section 4.4 of the guide says.  I believe everything is connected properly.  

Are there settings for the J-Link/J-Trace category that are missing from this guide?  I've had to setup those options for all other Freescale MCU's i've worked with. 

Anyone else have this issue? Or found a way to get by it?

Note:  I did not follow step 4.3 and flash a firmware image to SP141.  This isn't necessary is it?

Thanks in advance for the help,

James Zuroske

• Up0
  • Down0
pedrohenriquegomes
Posted: Mon, 2014-06-09 13:17

Hi James,

I had this same problem, but I had a few problems in the begining, so I dont remember if the solution I will give you is for the same problem you have. But it does not hurt to try:

- I found on J-Link documentation that we cannot use IAR's flashloader to burn the image. We need to use J-Link's flashloader instead. In order to do that you have to uncheck the checkbox Debugger -> Download -> Use flash loader

So, basically, the guide is wrong wrt step 5 of section 4.4. If you uncheck the option J-Link should work. But I found the issue that you cannot only download anymore, you have to always download and debug.

Hope it helps. Let me know if it is still hapenning.

• Up0
  • Down0
jamesz
Posted: Mon, 2014-06-09 13:58

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your help so far.  I unchecked the flashloader setting although I'm still getting the issue.  I did notice that under the Debugger>Plugins tab the Symbols and Code Coverage boxes were checked.  Should those be unchecked?

Did you leave the J-Link/J-Trace options as is?  Or did you modify those settings?  I have a feeling those need to be modified.

• Up0
  • Down0
pedrohenriquegomes
Posted: Mon, 2014-06-09 15:05

Hello,

The options Symbols and Code Coverage should be selected. And J-Link/J-Trace options should be as is. You can open the AllJoyn example project that you can find on C:\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_0\demo\aj\alljoyn\applications\sample_apps\tcl\ACServerSample\target\sp140-141mqx\iar and check the options. The only thing I changed was really the Flash Loader.

But I guess, according to your error, that J-Link is not even finding the board. Did you install J-Link driver from Segger website? Which J-Link are you using?

Are you using Windows? I downloaded my drivers from http://www.segger.com/jlink-software.html?step=1&file=JLink_486

Regards

• Up0
  • Down0
jamesz
Posted: Tue, 2014-06-10 11:32

Pedro,

I reinstalled my J-Link drivers and had some success.

Thanks for your help,

James Zuroske

• Up0
  • Down0
andrell24
Posted: Mon, 2014-07-07 09:28

Hello,

I am also trying to build and download the AllJoyn ACServerSample application to SP141 and having trouble with the last step (4.4) in the SP140/SP141 Development Kit Installation and Configuration Guide.

I am always getting a pop up J-Link error "Failed to get CPU status after 4 retries Retry?" after downloading the sample application using the IAR Embedded Workbench v7.20.

These are the steps I followed:

1) Configured DIP switches the same as on Figure 1.1 in the document.

2) Installed the needed OS and Development Tools on a Windows 7 PC.

3) Built AllJoyn ACServerSample by running first the prepare_app.bat. Then, building the BSP, PSP and Application in that order using IAR Embedded Workbench v7.20

4) Used J-Link BASE Debug Probe and the JTAG 20-pin and to 10-pin adapter to connect the SP140 board to the host PC. Also, I have installed the J-Link software and USB Driver on the host PC. (Do you think the problem is the J-Link BASE Debug Probe that I used?)

5) Connected the board to the host PC and used "RealTerm: Serial/TCP Terminal" application that I found on this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/ to connect to the higher port using the terminal setting 115200, 8, n, no control flow. (Is the terminal setting correct?)

6) I did not also follow step 4.3 which is "Flashing firmware image to SP141".

7) Downloaded the AllJoyn ACServerSample application and followed these settings on step 4.4:

a) set Driver to J-Link/J-Trace in Debugger->Setup tab.

b) selected MQX, Symbols and Code Coverage in Debugger->Plugins tab.

c) tried to check and uncheck the "Use flashloader(s)" in the Debugger->Download tab.

d) set the command line option "--drv_reset_to_cpu_start" in the Debugger->Extra Options tab.

8) I have also tried to re-install the J-Link Drivers but still did not success.

Please give me some advice and assistance to successfully complete this task. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Darrell Talavera

• Up0
  • Down0
pedrohenriquegomes
Posted: Wed, 2014-07-09 10:39

Hi Darrell,

Unfortunately I dont have the board with me and I dont have a working IAR IDE either, my project is on-hold for now. But I remember a few things, specially because I struggled a bit with this dev board.

Your j-link shoud be fine. I guess it is this one right? http://shop-us.segger.com/J_Link_p/8.08.00.htm

I just would recommend you to double-check if the driver is working OK. I remember I needed to reinstall it for some reason.

You said you see a pop up with "Failed to get CPU status after 4 retries Retry?" message. This seems that J-Link is not finding your board, but this message is not related with the "Use flashloader" problem I related before. But keep this checkbox unchecked.

For me your problem is related to your J-Link. Have you used it in other boards? Do you have another dev board that you can test it?

Also, can you see some messages in the terminal when you connect to the board? Try to see both ports (higher and lower). This confirms that the board is working.

Regards

• Up0
  • Down0
andrell24
Posted: Thu, 2014-07-10 14:48

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your response.

I have figured out the solution which is to turn like 180 degrees the JTAG adapter connector when connecting to the J14 on the SP140 board. After I tried the solution, I did not got the previous error message "Failed to get CPU  status after 4 retries Retry?". However, there are still some error messages that I got. Then, I have encountered another problem which is about the SP140 not flashing green LED when connected to PC via USB cable. I have created a post in this forum and please see it and suggest solutions.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Darrell

• Up0
  • Down0
benjaminlee
Posted: Thu, 2015-08-06 01:13

Hi,

I have this SP140/SP144 Development Kit from Qualcomm, I am trying to load this AllJoyn sample application into the board as indicated in the 80-Y7545-8_B_SP140_SP144_Hosted_Demo_MQX1_1_User_Guide.  Howwever, I don't have a J-Link product with me.  Is it a must that I have to have that emulator for me to download that AllJoyn sample application into the board and load it up?  Is there any other way?

Please advise.  Many thanks.

Ben

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.