Forums - QComHardwareOverlayRenderer: Create Overlay Failed

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
QComHardwareOverlayRenderer: Create Overlay Failed
gadget
Posted: Fri, 2012-10-12 11:08

Hello everyone, I am having a strange issue when attempting to play movie(s) (various sizes, H264 encoded) on HTC Thunderbolt (Android 2.3). I create a surface view, which is to be placed on top of a NativeWindow, with SurfaceView.setZOrderOnTop(true). Then I pass this surface to the media player. This works successfully on several devices but fails on the Thunderbolt.

I was hoping that someone here could help me make some sense out of the logcat messages that are generated during this process. Specifically, I was wondering what I can do to find out why "Create Overlay Failed".

----- BEGIN LOGCAT ------

I/AwesomePlayer(1519): format=00000015, surface:00041A88, decoded W/H = 1024/768, video W/H=1024/768
D/StagefrightSurfaceOutput7630(1519): StagefrightSurfaceOutput7x30::createRenderer color format:21 overlayswitch 0
D/StagefrightSurfaceOutput7630(1519): StagefrightSurfaceOutput7x30::createRenderer componentName:OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc
D/StagefrightSurfaceOutput7630(1519): StagefrightSurfaceOutput7x30::createRenderer QComHardwareOverlayRenderer
D/QComHardwareOverlayRenderer(1519): VideoMode 0
E/QComHardwareOverlayRenderer(1519): Create Overlay Failed - Overlay ref is  NULL
E/StagefrightSurfaceOutput7630(1519): Create Overlay Renderer failed
E/StagefrightSurfaceOutput7630(1519): error: StagefrightSurfaceOutput7x30::createRenderer returning NULL!
W/OMX(1519): Using software renderer.
W/SoftwareRenderer(1519): ISurface failed to register buffers (0xffffffda)
E/MediaPlayer(5865): error (1, -19)
E/MediaPlayer(5865): Error (1,-19)

---- END LOGCAT ----

• Up0
  • Down0
gadget
Posted: Fri, 2012-10-12 18:05

here is the solution:

for Androids with os less than 3.0, the following call is necessary during the SurfaceView creation:

SurfaceHolder.setType(SurfaceHolder.SURFACE_TYPE_PUSH_BUFFERS);

Wouldn't it be nice, if this was somehow obvious from the error messages...

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.