Forums - Is Adreno support updating to a compressed 2D texture from an uncompressed texel data buffer?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is Adreno support updating to a compressed 2D texture from an uncompressed texel data buffer?
freedayman
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-21 17:37

Hi Everyone,

Can any body tell me whether or not Adreno GPU support a on-line texture compression? Can I update to a compressed 2D texture from an uncompressed texel data buffer and let the Adreno GPU to do the texture compression? If it is support, How can I use this feature? Is there any relative OpenGL ES extention about this feather? Or can some body give me a code example?

• Up0
  • Down0
[email protected] (not verified)
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-21 18:27

There is nothing currently in the driver/hardware to do this for you, and I'm not aware of any plans to add it. We do, however, provide a library as part of the SDK that would allow you to do it.

• Up0
  • Down0
freedayman
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-21 19:14

Hi Dave_Astle,

Thank you for reply. How about the performance of the texture convert libaray(libTextureConverter.a) provied by Adreno SDK ?

Can we get a real time texture conversion ?  How much time it take to comvert 1024x1024 RGBA texture to ATITC on 1G GPU on Android platform ?

• Up0
  • Down0
[email protected] (not verified)
Posted: Tue, 2012-02-21 19:42

These compression formats are designed for fast hardware decompression, not necessarily fast software compression. The performance is adequate if you want to, say, compress textures generated/retrieved once, and then cached for future use, but probably not if you are updating the texture continually. 

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.