Forums - fcvFilterCanny3x3u8

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
fcvFilterCanny3x3u8
christopher.cos...
Posted: Mon, 2012-04-16 08:42

Hi,

Im curious if anyone else is having this problem.  First I blur the image using fcvFilterGaussian3x3u8 then I run fcvFilterCanny3x3u8 on the blurred image.  If there are edges present this works well with appropriate thresholds set.  However if I point the camera to a place with no edge (e.g. table top)  then the edge image is filled with noise.  I have tried adjusting both blurs and thresholds and the noisy image still results.  My code is very simple and the important parts are as follows:

fcvFilterGaussian3x3u8(int_img, width,height,blurred_XY1,1);
fcvFilterCanny3x3u8(blurred_XY, width,height,Edge_img,90,100);

The rest is just getting an intensity image and outputting the image.  Am I missing something in using these functions? Like I said when edges are present, like an object on the table, the edge image is good, but if it the table top is all that is in the image I get a very noisy edge image.

Thanks,

Chris

• Up0
  • Down0
Prasun_Choudhury
Posted: Tue, 2012-05-15 12:18

I think this is an inherent feature of Canny edge detection algorithm where the quality of edges is dependent on the threshold value/s. Did you try setting the two threshold values to a high number? My understanding is increasing the threshold values will reduce the noise but there is a chance that you will lose some 'real' edges as well.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.