Forums - How do I learn to interpret profiler data?

1 post / 0 new
How do I learn to interpret profiler data?
jerome.dipietro
Posted: Wed, 2020-01-29 04:19

I'm a Unity developer working on Quest (mobileVR) apps. I've watched the stickies pointing to the few videos on how to use the profiler, as well as other optimisation tutorials I've found over the years. They all say "learn to use the profiler," but very few tell you where to go to learn the more low level stuff... It's pretty esoteric stuff!

I've been a developer for about 4 years but I still don't really know what I'm looking at when viewing a frame Snapshot, for example. Presentations like the one at Unite tend to have fairly high level explanations of what's at stake (thermal throttling, too many drawcalls etc.) but no real indepth information about what all the data presented means, and how it can be used to work out where problems lie.

Where do Pros go to learn about this kind of information? Are there any indepth walk throughs of a scene optimisation that anyone can point me to?

So for example, I have a scene which is optimised as far as I know how to (mesh combined, texture atlased, no scripts to speak of) which has only 30 drawcalls but is only hitting 60fps on the device (rather than the required 72fps). What's the process for drilling down into the numbers to know where the bottlenecks lie, and how I can improve performance? 

In other words, how do I know what the different values should be on the different metrics? Which metrics shouild I be keeping an eye on, etc.

Can anyone offer any advice or mentoring on this topic, to help make it a little less of a dark art?

• Up0
  • Down0

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.