Forums - GL_QCOM_motion_estimation is much slower than advertised

1 post / 0 new
GL_QCOM_motion_estimation is much slower than advertised
mbucchia
Posted: Tue, 2023-09-12 15:24

Hello,

I am using the GL_QCOM_motion_estimation on a Meta Quest 2 and the performance seems way off.

My input images are 1440x1584 (Quest 2 base resolution), and I am measuring 10ms of time spent in the estimator for each. The Quest 2 performance tools also confirms this number.

Per Qualcomm's own blog post: Improving VR performance using motion estimation OpenGL Extensions (qualcomm.com)

For typical VR frame resolutions, the motion vectors can often be generated in under 1ms for both eyes, allowing the vectors to be created on-demand. 

The number I am seeing is 20 times off!

I reduced resolution to 720x792, and I now see 2ms in the estimator (so 4ms for both eyes), which is unfortunately quite low resolution and not really usable.

Am I doing something wrong to cause such low performance? Are the numbers in your blog post erroneous?

Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.