Forums - Clarification needed on alpha blend versus alpha test (discard)

1 post / 0 new
Clarification needed on alpha blend versus alpha test (discard)
steven.cannavan
Posted: Mon, 2021-09-13 03:25

Howdy,

I have been reading the Adreno GPU developer Guide  and I'm a little uncertain about the performance when using Alpha Blend and Alpha Test (discard). In this particular case I only care about the 650 as im working on a Quest 2  but trying to work out if the statement in the FAQ is correct (partially as it appears to have spelling mistakes and mostly I dont understand why this would be the case, also a tiny bit of hope that maybe its different for the 650).

In the FAQ it says:
 https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/docs/adreno-gpu/developer-guide/gpu/faq.html#which-has-better-performance-alpha-test-vs-alpha-blend

Which has better performance, alpha test vs alpha blend?

From a throughput point of view, they are the same. For a single sample they are both conservatively rejected. However, due to BW limitations, tjeu are not rejected as soon as you turn on MSAA and only get a late Z test.

1. So are shaders that are using alpha blend, not doing z write to a MSAA target using a late Z test only?
  2. Is LRZ disabled for shaders using alpha blend but dont write into the z buffer? if it is that because a alpha blend considered Direct Rendering?
  3. Is there a different behaviour or caveats between the Adreno 5xx and Andreno 6xx that I should be aware of?

Basically I get why for a alpha test may have to be a late z test, but I dont understand why a alpha blend might require one if its not writing to depth.

• Up0
  • Down0

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.