Forums - Limit size of receive buffer from QCA hardware to driver

1 post / 0 new
Limit size of receive buffer from QCA hardware to driver
jshenry1963
Posted: Wed, 2023-07-05 15:51

I have an very different application use case using the QCA9377-7.

My application does not create any connections, but monitors for specific frames/types/etc.

I do not need to see all frames at all times.

There are times I am monitoring and showing the devices detected in monitor mode, and there are times that I am not monitoring, yet the driver continues to stack up frames captured during this time when the user is not looking at the data.

My question is.... Is there a way to either:

1 - simply have the driver clear it's receive buffer / cache it has received thus far from the hardware?

or

2 - I do have the driver source, is there a way to limit the size of the receive buffer (receive meaning the ring buffer going from the hardware to the driver).

What I find is if I am in this monitoring mode, and I am draining frames from the driver as fast as they come in, and then I stop monitoring, and walk across the building, I find that when I restart monitoring, and draining the buffer from the driver, I find a LOT of frames from the devices I walked near along the way. I don't want to see those frames when I am not physically monitoring them by the user.

Like I said, an odd use case for a consumer type product Thoughts on how to proceed?

I have the driver source and can modify buffer sizing parameters if possible to resolve this.

The target is linux, arm, and simply bringing the interface up and down does not affect the hardware sending data to the driver (ifconfig wlan up/down)

Thanks,

• Up0
  • Down0

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.