Qualcomm Robotics RB5 Development Kit Overview
The Qualcomm Robotics RB5 Development Kit is an AI board for makers, learners, and developers. It is based on the Qualcomm® QRB5165 SoC. After following along with this brief guide, you’ll be ready to start building practical AI applications, cool robots, and much much more.
QRB5165 is the new generation Qualcomm Technologies premium-tier processor for robotic applications. It is designed with the 7 nm process for superior performance and power efficiency. QRB5165 includes the following key components:
- Qualcomm® Kryo™ 585 CPU built on ARM Cortex technology
- Qualcomm® Adreno™ 650 GPU for the highest in graphics performance and power efficiency
- Qualcomm® Hexagon™ DSP with quad Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX) processor for vision processing and machine learning
- Qualcomm Spectra™ 480 image processing engine for the ultimate photography and videography experiences
- Adreno 665 VPU for high-quality, ultra HD video encode and decode
- Adreno 995 DPU for on-device and external ultra HD display support
- Low-power audio subsystem combined with the Qualcomm Aqstic™ Audio Technologies on Qualcomm® WCD9380/WCD9385 audio codec for low power voice processing and audiophile quality audio playback
- Qualcomm® Sensing Hub for contextual awareness and always-on sensor support
- Qualcomm® Secure Processing Unit (SPU240) for advanced secure use cases
- Qualcomm® Neural Processing Unit (NPU230) for high-performance machine learning use cases
- External 802.11ax, 2 × 2 MIMO, and Bluetooth 5.1
- Quad-channel package-on-package (PoP) high-speed LPDDR5/LPDDR4X SDRAM
The Qualcomm Robotics RB5 platform supports the development of smart, power-efficient, and cost-effective robots. The platform uses heterogeneous computing and the Qualcomm® Artificial (AI) Engine to support on-device machine learning, computer vision, robust security, multimedia, Wi-Fi, and cellular connectivity capabilities.
Comprised of a comprehensive set of hardware, software, and development tools, the development kit is designed to help manufacturers and developers create robotic products ranging from large industrial and enterprise robots to small battery-operated ones with challenging power and thermal dissipation requirements.
From development board offerings for prototyping, to off-the-shelf system-on-module (SoM) solutions to speed commercialization, to flexibility for chip-on-board designs, the development kit offers flexible options for development and commercialization.