Forums - Memory Usage - Trepn Power Profiler

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Memory Usage - Trepn Power Profiler
prisonpassioner
Posted: Fri, 2018-02-23 09:14

Hi All,

This is Pradeep. I work as a QA lead for mobile apps & games. I am new to this forum. I am trying my hands on some performance analysis tools for Apps and Games.

I have just used this Trepn Power Profiler for one of my games. I did use the 'Advanced Mode' and profiled that particular game.

However, the values I see using Trepn are no where near to the values I received using GameBench or any other tool. Especially for the memory usage metric, I see the values spiked upto 3.5 GB where as it should be around 200-400 MB in general.

Any ideas what causes this difference.

• Up1
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Fri, 2018-02-23 10:06

Hi Pradeep, 

I'm not sure what causes the memory discrepancy you are seeing. However, one of the engineers who worked on Trepn, still visits this forum from time to time. Hopefully, he can comment. 

-Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
--LR
Posted: Sun, 2018-02-25 16:25

Hi Pradeep,

Unfortunately, the "Profile App" button can be a little misleading.  The difference between "Profile System" and "Profile App" is that the latter will display a list of installed applications and let you jump right into the one you are interested in.  The statistics you collect, however, will not be application-specific.

That means that profiling "Memory Usage" in either mode will give you the Total System Memory Usage.  When you see 3.5 GB of memory, that is not just memory that your app is using.

Does that make the numbers you are seeing seem more reasonable?  Or does it still not seem to match?

When it comes to GameBench, I'm unfamiliar with what statistics they provide and whether their memory stats are app-specific.

One possible suggestion would be to use the "Profile System" button, then let the device sit idle for ~10 seconds before launching your app.  Then you will be able to refer to that first 10 seconds of data and calculate an average baseline that you can then compare to the values while your app is running.

• Up1
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.