Forums - Extra Data Points in Trepn .csv file

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Extra Data Points in Trepn .csv file
skapoor8
Posted: Sat, 2017-11-04 14:15

Hi, 

I am selecting particular data points to log through Settings before profiling. But the .csv file I get has lots of extra columns which I don't want. Since one of the metric I care about is Battery Power, I am concerned these extra values will cause unwanted overheads. How can I ensure that the .csv file only has the data points I selected?

Thanks 

Sugam Kapoor

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Mon, 2017-11-06 13:11

1. Click on the Beaker icon to enter Advanced mode

2. Touch Settings and Data Points. 

3. Uncheck everything except "Battery Power"

4. Press the Back button and Profile System/App. 

5. Save as CSV option. 

You are probably already doing all of this, but I wanted to list the steps I took since I just did a test and only have the following 4 headings: 

Time  [ms]  Battery Power [uW]  Time  [ms]  Battery Status

This is the lowest possible amount of overhead. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
skapoor8
Posted: Mon, 2017-11-06 13:54

Hi Rick, 

I had already followed the above steps but I get lots of columns when I check Battery Power like:

Time   CPU1 Freq   Time    CPU1 Load     Time     CPU2 Freq ... and so on. I even get columns for GPU frequency, load and screen brightness (although these remain at 0). 

The thing is, if I check other data points apart from Battery Power, I get only those particular data points, as expected. But as soon as I check Battery Power, no matter what data points I select, I get all the extra data points as well. 

P.S- I am running the experiment on Nexus 6, and have tried running Trepn, both manually and using scripts. 

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Mon, 2017-11-06 14:42

It's strange that we would get different results. I don't know what would cause that. Did you download your version of Trepn from Google Play?

I tested on a Nexus 7. I have a Nexus 6, but can't use it with Trepn because it runs Android 7.x and Trepn has problems with that. 

- Rick

• Up1
  • Down0
--LR
Posted: Tue, 2017-11-07 00:20

Are you able to tell if Trepn is using Estimated Battery Power on your device, instead of direct power? (the Battery Power label will be marked with an asterisk *).

When Trepn has to estimate the battery power, then it is forced to also profile your CPU Frequency, CPU Load, GPU Freq/Load, Screen Brightness, etc.  That is the data that Trepn runs through some heuristics to calculate the estimated Battery Power usage.

I believe that since those sensors are turned on indirectly for that reason, their data happens to get logged in the CSV file as well.

• Up2
  • Down0
skapoor8
Posted: Tue, 2017-11-07 14:04

@Rick: As a matter of fact, I am using Android 7.1.1.? What are the problems Trepn has with Android 7.x? Should I run it on Android 6.x? 

Yes, I downloaded the official app from Google Play. 

@LR- That's great insight. I am using 'Estimate Power Consumption'! But that is the only option I see in Settings->General->Battery Power Data Source. Maybe it gives 'Direct Power' for only some of the phones/Android versions. 

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2017-11-07 14:49

Trepn features that stopped working on devices running Android 7.x:

- Mobile Data Detective preset - No longer works - Reports 'No applications are running'

- Performance Graph preset - GPU Frequency and GPU Load appear incorrectly as "0"

- CPU Usage Monitor preset - No longer works - Reports 'No applications are running'

- Network Activity preset - Appears to work fine except - direct power readings no longer be available, so Trepn auto-switches to estimated power

If you are able to roll-back to Android 6.x, all of these features should start working again. 

- Rick 

• Up1
  • Down0
skapoor8
Posted: Tue, 2017-11-07 15:45

Thanks a lot for your help! That explains everything. 

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.