Forums - Which mobile devices report accurate system power consumption?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which mobile devices report accurate system power consumption?
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Sat, 2014-12-06 16:40

Not all mobile devices report accurate system power consumption. Here is a list of devices that report accurate battery power when used with Trepn Profiler or App Tune-up Kit. This is not a comprehensive list. There are many other devices that work as well. These are the ones we've tested (or have been told work by our users).  

IMPORTANT NOTE: Even though your device is not on this list, Trepn or App Tune-up Kit will still estimate power consumption. This normally happens automatically. 

- Asus ZenFone 5 T00F (appears to report accurate power, but this has an Intel processor, so it’s possible this data isn’t accurate.)

- Dragonboard(tm) Development Kit based on the Snapdragon 810 (APQ8094)

- HTC Butterfly 2

- HTC Desire 510

- HTC Droid DNA

- HTC One M7 (2013)

- HTC One M8 (2014)

- HTC One M8T  

- HTC One M9 (2015)*

- Huawei G620 4G (G620-L75)

- Kyocera Urbano L01 KYY21  

- LG Optimus G Pro  

- LG G Flex D950

- LG G Flex2 (LS996)

- LG G2 Verizon VS980  

- LG G4  (Model LG-H818)

- LG Optimus G E975  

- LG V10 smartphone (LG-H901)*

- Motorola G (1st Gen) (XT1032)

- Motorola Moto X Ghost XT1056  

-  Motorola XT1572 (8992)*

- Nexus 4 smartphone

- Nexus 5 smartphone (2013)

- Nexus 5X smartphone (2015)  Requires Trepn 6.2 of later

- Nexus 6 smartphone (2014)

- Nexus 6P smartphone (2015)  Requires Trepn 6.2 of later

- Nexus 7 (2013) Wi-Fi tablet

- Nexus 7 (2013) 4G LTE tablet

- Snapdragon S2 MSM8655 MDP (FLUID)

- Snapdragon S3 MSM8660 MDP (FLUID)

- Snapdragon S4 Pro (8960) MDP smartphone (FLUID)

- Snapdragon 600 (8064) MDP tablet (LiQUID)

- Snapdragon 800 (8974) MDP tablet (LiQUID)

- Snapdragon 800 (8974) MDP smartphone (FLUID)

- Snapdragon 801 (8974AB) MDP smartphone (FLUID)

- Snapdragon 805 (8084) MDP tablet (LiQUID)

- Snapdragon 810 (8994) MDP tablet (LiQUID)*

- Snapdragon 810 (8994) MDP smartphone (FLUID)*

- Sony Xperia A Dogo Maki SO-04E  

- Sony Xperia SP C5303 smartphone

- Sony Xperia Z C6603  

- Sony Xperia Z1 C6903

- Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone

- Sony Xperia Z3 smartphone

- Sony Xperia ZL  

- TCL Joy J738M (China Mobile)

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 smartphone

- Xiaomi Mi 3/ Xiaomi Mi 3w smartphone

- Xiaomi Mi 4 smartphone

Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone*

Xiaomi Mi Note Pro smartphone*

- Yota Phone 2 YD201

- ZTE Q505T (China Mobile) (unsupported screen size, some text cutoff)

- ZUK Z2*

* Power values only update every 30 seconds. 

Help Us Add to This List

We’re continually expanding our list of devices that report accurate battery power. If you could perform the simple test below, it would help us greatly. Before testing, make sure your device is NOT on the list of supported devices above. If your device is on that list, you do not need to test it. Also non-Nexus Samsung smartphones are known to NOT work, so there is no need to test those.

How to determine whether your mobile device supports battery power

1. Download and install Trepn Profiler here

2. Open Trepn Profiler. Touch ‘Accept’ if it’s the first time you’re running it.  Important: MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS NOT CONNECTED TO A USB CABLE. This includes a charger or computer. 

3. Touch the beaker icon in the upper right. 

4. Touch the Settings button and select the ‘Data Points’ tab.

5. Next, check ‘Battery Power’ if it’s present. If it is not present, press the ‘Back’ button and skip to step 8.

6. Press the ‘Back’ button to return to the Trepn home screen.

7. Touch the ‘Profile System’ button.

8. Touch the ‘Stats’ button and write down the number under ‘Average’ next to Battery Power.

If you see battery power values in the range below, your device is reporting accurate battery power:

o   4” to 5” smartphone – 400 mW to 800 mW

o   6” smartphone/7” tablet – 700 mW to 2500mW

o   10” tablet – 2000 mW to 4000 mW

7. Go back to the home screen and touch ‘Stop Profiling’ and ‘Don’t save’

8. Use the menu soft-key to go to the ‘About’ box

9. Touch ‘Device Info’ and write down the manufacturer, model and chipset of your mobile device.

10. E-mail the info below to trepnfeedback@qti.qualcomm.com

Average battery power:   Make sure to indicate whther an asterisk is present here. 

Manufacturer:

Model:

Chipset:

Thanks for your help. 

- Trepn Team

• Up2
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Fri, 2015-01-16 09:20

Is case you are worndering what devices we've tested that do NOT support battery power. Here is the current list:

Devices which do NOT report accurate battery power in Trepn Profiler or App Tune-up Kit

-  DragonBoard (all chipsets before Snapdragon 810 (APQ8094)

-  OnePlus One - Reports very low values

-  Samsung Galaxy S III (SCH-I535)

-  Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545) – Reports invalid values for battery power

-  Samsung Galaxy S5 – Reports invalid values for battery power

-  Samsung Galaxy S6

-  Samsung Galaxy Note II

-  Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) – Reports invalid values for battery power

-  Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – Reports invalid values for battery power

-  Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (Exynos version) Also missing GPU 3D Frequency, GPU 3D Load and Screen brightness

-  Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5  (Exynos version) Also missing GPU 3D Frequency, GPU 3D Load and Screen brightness

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Sun, 2015-08-23 15:03

We just added 12 more devices to our list of devices that appear to report accurate battery power. 

Here they are:

1. Asus ZenFone 5 T00F (appears to report accurate power, but this has an Intel processor, so it’s possible this data isn’t accurate.)
  2. HTC Desire 510
  3. HTC One M9 (2015)
  4. Kyocera Urbano L01 KYY21  
  5. LG G Flex D950
  6. LG G2 Verizon VS980  
  7. LG Optimus G E975  
  8. Motorola Moto X Ghost XT1056  
  9. Sony Xperia A Dogo Maki SO-04E  
  10. Sony Xperia Z C6603  
  11. Sony Xperia Z1 C6903
  12. Yota Phone 2 YD201

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Chetan Arvind Patil
Posted: Fri, 2015-09-11 15:51

Please add Nexus 6 to this list, it always throws 0 as battery power/current_drawn.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Fri, 2015-09-11 17:33
Nexus 6 used to have a problem, but we made a change in Trepn 6.1 that fixed this on our Nexus 6 devices. Could you make sure you a running that version? - Rick
  • Up0
  • Down0
Chetan Arvind Patil
Posted: Fri, 2015-09-11 18:00

The version I have is 6.1.1s, the latest one only.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Fri, 2015-09-11 19:48

Thanks for checking. Can you do two more things for us? 

1. Let us know if there is anything non-stock about your Nexus 6 (e.g. rooted, custom ROM, etc.)

2. Can you take a screen capture of the "About phone" screen that includes Kernel version and Build number and email it to trepnfeedback@qti.qualcomm.com?

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Chetan Arvind Patil
Posted: Tue, 2015-09-15 22:09

1. Yes, I compiled the sources, and then flashed the devices. This I don't think shoudl affect the internals, as the sources are provided by Google/Vendor.

2. Emailed.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2015-09-16 09:31

Unfortunately, we are unable to support custom builds like this. If you ever decide to reflash your device with the stock image, you should find that it works. If that's not an option for you, the next release of Trepn will support power estimation, which could prove to be very useful to you. Our goal is to release that version by the end of November, but that date could change.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Chetan Arvind Patil
Posted: Wed, 2015-09-16 15:45

Rick,

Ok. Then, I am wondering why Trepn earlier worked for me on Nexus 4, that too with CyanogenMod OS?

Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2015-09-16 19:01

That's a good question. Sadly I don't have an answer for you. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Haldi
Posted: Thu, 2016-04-28 12:10
The new HTC m10h with msm8996 certainly isn't compatible yet. "direct mode" shows a straight line that increases and decreases but always stays straight. And power estimate shows the normal up and Downs.
  • Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Mon, 2016-05-02 09:17

Thanks for reporting this Haldi.

Snapdragon 810 and 820-powered devices only provide direct power readings every 30 seconds, so it's hard to get accurate readings -- even on devices that report accurate direct power.  It helps if you measure longer periods (e.g. 3 to 5 minutes). Using estimated power is a better option for most use-cases.

- Rick 

• Up0
  • Down0
Haldi
Posted: Mon, 2016-05-02 10:27
Ohhh I see. 6.2 Patch Notes. Auto Updates do have a bad side. But I'm not sure yet. Every 30 seconds? So the value displayed is the momentus Powerdrain or the average over the last 30 seconds? And how bad is the "estimated Battery power"? Seemed quite reliable to me. Even if it's not accurate on spot, can it still be used for delta measurements?
  • Up1
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Mon, 2016-05-02 10:48

We haven't tested every device with a SD 820, but on the ones I've seen, the power only updates twice a minute. Those two readings are provided by the PMIC and fuel-gauge software so they are accurate, but power spikes are common. If you get a big spike, it could throw off your average. 

Estimated power updates up to 10x a second. It is calculated in real-time based on the screen brightness, CPU load (on every core), CPU frequency of every core, number of CPU cores, GPU load and GPU frequency. The CPU, GPU and screen are some of the biggest consumers of power, so it is fairly accurate and should respond to delta measurements. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Haldi
Posted: Tue, 2016-05-10 02:14

Hey,

I've done some tests about Batterypower and it seems the "estimated" Value is kinda off on the HTC 10.

http://i.imgur.com/mC1Cp5Y.png

I've used a USB Powermonitor (QC3.0 compatible) to measure the energy the phone drains from the charger as this is my only way of measuring without software. 

But even if you look at both unplugged runs, one Estimated and one Direct it looks like a huge difference.

i did the same again in a Idle situation and it's a similar result:

http://i.imgur.com/ALBaM3H.png

So the HTC 10 definitly does something wrong with calculating estimated power.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Tue, 2016-05-10 09:52

Thanks for reporting this. Your charts are very interesting. You're right that the HTC 10 estimated power shown on your chart is too low. I'll mention this to our engineers. If you have the time, please measure the power with App Tune-up Kit and let me know what the average is for a one minute test.

The Direct power value looks better, but as you can see from the graph, it only updates once every 30 seconds.

The USB power monitor is good to show how much power your device draws when it is charging, but I don't think that is an accurate way to measure power as well. There are several problems with that method. For example, the battery is still in the circuit and helping to power the device. The power consumption also drops over time as the device charges. Also, the idle power it reports is too high.

The best way to measure accurate power consumption is to break the connection to the battery and measure across a sense resistor with off-target hardware like a Monsoon. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Haldi
Posted: Thu, 2016-05-12 00:36
I'd Love to use a Monsoon. But sadly that's not an option. That's why I thought the Charger might show some interesting numbers. If the device is charged to 100% you can run all the Benchmarks you want, Batterylevel won't Drop below 100% so I assumed the Charger would Power the whole phone while the battery rests Idle. But yeah... it doesn't. So, I did it with AppTuneUp Kit in a cold state so the cpu wouldn't throttle down. Automatic set to estimated. And one more set to direct in Settings.http://i.imgur.com/rdL6r9P.jpgDo you need the .db files from both run? Because the other Test was made via StabilityTest v2.7 App and only looks at CPU, I've done one more with Epic Citadel and looking at GPU Performance.http://i.imgur.com/PknbkCL.jpg(This time manual lowest brightness. And not Maximum, 5 Minutes Test instead of 1) Still Shows a little difference. But not that much.
  • Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Mon, 2016-05-16 08:53

No additional actions are required. Something changed that is preventing us from reading the A57s core frequencies and GPU load and frequency. That has effectively broken our power estimation on the HTC 10. Normally, an issue like this would be resolved quickly, but our Trepn engineer is out for a few months, so work on this cannot begin until after he returns. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
pinto
Posted: Wed, 2016-11-30 03:51

Hi,

I have a nexus 5 with Android 4.4.4 and the Trepn Profiler v 6.2s, and it doesn´t work. I am especially interested on measuring power consumption. Do I have to change the Android or the Trepn Profiler version?

Thanks,

Mónica Pinto

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2016-11-30 11:29

Thanks for letting us know. The Nexus 5 used to work great with Trepn. Can you confirm what you mean by it doesn't work? No power readings? Incorrect power readings? CPU or GPU issues, or mobile data issues? 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
pinto
Posted: Thu, 2016-12-01 03:51

Hi,

I tried to follow the steps to know if the application is working or not with a particular device, but I cannot properly follow steps 7 and 8. I have also a OnePlus One mobile and thus I have compared the information provided by the application with the OnePlus One mobile. The differences that I can see are:

1. In Step 7, when I touch "Profile System", the duration is always 0 sec, while in the OnePlus One the counter begins just by entering to the  "Profile System" option.

2. In Step 8, when I touch 'stats' the "Profiling System" screen with the batery power doesn´t apper and it goes back to the main screen. The one showing the options: "Profile System, Profile App, Anayze Run and Settings".

Thanks,

Mónica

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Fri, 2016-12-02 08:43

Hi Mónica, 

This is very interesting. I can't think of a reason why steps 7 & 8 wouldn't work. I just confirmed that all steps still work with the version of Trepn in Google Play today on my Nexus 6. The good news is, there is another way you can perform this test: 

1. Touch the Network Activity button. It the bottom one. If you don't see it, touch the 4 square icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

2. Notice what power value is displayed on the graph. My phone shows an average below 749mW.  Let me know if this doesn't work for you. Thanks

Is anyone else experiencing a problem where the duration is always 0 when you touch the "Profile System" button OR the problem were the battery power doesn´t apper and Trepn goes back to the main screen after you touch 'stats' the "Profiling System" screen ?

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
pinto
Posted: Mon, 2016-12-12 01:38

Hi,

Finally, it worked!! I had the option "don´t keep activies" selected in the mobile developer options and it seems that this option prevents the trepn profiler application from working correctly. I remove that option and it already works.

Thanks for the support.

Mónica

• Up1
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Mon, 2016-12-12 08:35

This is good to know Mónica. Thank you for sharing this info. here so others can benefit from your findings. Much appreciated. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
AndrewF
Posted: Wed, 2017-02-01 11:55

Does anyone know if something like a Snapdragon 808 or other model might report batter level more often than the 810 and 820s 30s update rate.

Thanks!

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM Moderator
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2017-02-01 12:49

The 30 sec power update issue occurs on  Snapdragon 808 devices as well. The first chipset that doesn't have this limitation will be the SD 835 (MSM8998), but work still needs to be done on Trepn to support this. 

- Rick

• Up1
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.