Forums - Snapdragon profiler crashes time to time

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Snapdragon profiler crashes time to time
beerbrown2
Posted: Fri, 2017-02-17 04:14
As the tile, it crashes time to time.

You guy may hate me, but I have to say, this tool is too immature to be released.  I ask my colleagues and ex-colleagues who have use this tool, they don't like it as I do, same reason. 

To specify the issue, list some but not all. Can't connect while the adb connection is OK, not a damn hint what happen. No lines are drawing after connected then became OK next time, and not OK the third time.  Stuck their after capture even it's only a demo little unity apk. Close it, open it again, connect, crash. 

Adreno profiler is old, but still it gets me something.  But after desperately trying for two fucking days, snapdragon profiler give me shit.

Please recruit some QA members, do some manual or automatic test on multiple devices.  Not every one buy a Nexus, besides the old nexus can't test the cutting-edge new games. 

Qualcomm is a leading-edge-tech company, not those consist of three college students. Any of its product include this software represent the self-esteem of qualcomm itself. Simple try-catch and a log will just make the tool less annoying that the interface just vanish. 

I know i may be some sort of over-reacting, but who cares. 
A software can't crash like a baby!!! You are the best engineers in the world, and make tools like what it should be.
  • Up0
  • Down0
beerbrown2
Posted: Fri, 2017-02-17 04:19

PS: As a programmer with self-esteem, never release something crash like this. A simple try-catch will make it much nicer.
You might feel angry about my post, try Bee~~~ on my face by releasing a new stable one.

• Up0
  • Down0
khawkins Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2017-02-17 08:02
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. We recommend Nexus because in most cases they can receive driver updates, which will have fixes for Profiler. Can you provide some information about your environment? What Profiler version are you using? Device? PC? ADB version? Also, if profiling GLES/Unity apps, are you starting Profiler before starting your app?
  • Up0
  • Down0
beerbrown2
Posted: Sun, 2017-02-19 23:21

Thank you for your reply. I may overreact too much.

My machine is MI 5, witch a Snapdragon 820 CPU, Android 6.0, new adb. Very typical 820 machines. Everything is fine, and SnapdragonProfiler did its work and successfully profiled my unity demo apk, but it just crashed and crashed as I described. I've been programmed for a dozen years, I know it's not an easy task to adapt to various devices. So a simple choice that eliminating all those strange situations by throw errors is quit acceptable.

Just remember to catch it and tell the user, and don't ever never F--CKING let your program crash. It feels a lot better if it didn't crash, even if it's not working. Books like “Code Quality: The Open Source Perspective” and “Code Complete” nagging about what I am nagging again and again.

My information may help nothing, because I return the device to the device management department today, nothing more can be extracted. Maybe you guys can try buying a MI 5, and try testing this game :

https://adl.netease.com/d/g/zm/c/fabpc?type=android

ZMQ by NetEase. It's a Chinese game. What ever it is, but it's next-gen graphic quality is way beyond most other games. It's graphic is FU~King on all graphic programmer's face. I am urged to profile its tricks. If you guys can test it while it's running at high-quality config with SnapDragon Profiler, please tell me, and I will swallow my Fu~ks all back.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.