Forums - Power Improvement not observed

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Power Improvement not observed
kkrkkr908
Posted: Mon, 2018-03-26 21:54

Hi guys,

I am using power optimization SDK in an android app which is basically rendering some 3D objects(e.g. animated cars,trees etc) continuously.I was using static mode with saver_mode but i am not getting any power consumption  improvement ,instead sometimes power consumption increased a little bit.

What should I do?

Thanks

• Up1
  • Down0
asraghav
Posted: Tue, 2018-03-27 17:50

Hi,

Could you please clarify on what device_set you are requesting the saver_mode? All Power SDK API's are best effort, if there are other system resources which request higher frequency point to operate, the underlying Power Management module can veto the request from Power SDK. 

Saver mode is typically used when application's performance requirement are small. Given that you are rendering objects in GPU constantly, do you happen to know the characteristic of GPU utilizations, does it have small burst of high utilization (or) more of a constant utilization over time? Knowing that could help determine if other Power SDK API's namely perf_burst (or) window mode can help in your App.

Aravind.

• Up0
  • Down0
kkrkkr908
Posted: Tue, 2018-03-27 20:48

Hi Raghav,

Thanks for replying.

"does it have small burst of high utilization (or) more of a constant utilization over time?" 

-- It is constant utilization in this particular App. 
can you please clarify the different modes as it is not much clear in the documentation.

• Up0
  • Down0
nazneenshk30
Posted: Fri, 2018-06-01 02:56

You can use the Battery Historian tool provides insight into a device’s battery consumption over time. At a system-wide level, the tool visualizes power-related events from the system logs in an HTML representation. At an app-specific level, the tool provides a variety of data that can help you identify battery-draining app behavior.

When you're altering the frequency of your background updates to reduce the effect of those updates on battery life, checking the current battery level and charging state is a good place to start.

The charging status can change as easily as a device can be plugged in, so it's important to monitor the charging state for changes and alter your refresh rate accordingly.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.