Forums - IGMP and IP multicast over eMBMS

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
IGMP and IP multicast over eMBMS
Jordan
Posted: Tue, 2016-11-22 06:36

I have a normal IP multicast service that I would like to extend over eMBMS.  Is it possible to bridge IGMP and vanilla IP multicast streams over eMBMS using Qualcom modems?

What would I have to put in place to make it work?  (I have a lab-setup of the cellular network side available.)

• Up0
  • Down0
AnkitK Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2016-11-22 10:47

Dear Customer, 

What kind of IP Multicast service is being used (e.g. File Downlaod or Streaming service)?

The normail IP Multicast service needs to be bridged with BMSC on the network side and classified as either a Streaming Service or a File Delivery Service.

Thanks

Ankit

• Up0
  • Down0
Jordan
Posted: Tue, 2016-11-22 11:54

Thanks, Ankit. 

The service I am most interested in is streaming and uses RTP, so the integration at the BMSC should be reasonable.  I am also wondering if a UDP streaming service that isn't RTP is supportable on a Qualcomm modem.

• Up0
  • Down0
AnkitK Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2016-11-22 16:07

Currently, QC middleware supports streaming using DASH. RTP is not yet supported on QC broadcast middleware.

Thanks

Ankit

• Up0
  • Down0
Jordan
Posted: Tue, 2016-11-22 20:05

On to plan B.

I notice QC has a patent on delivering HLS over eMBMS.  Do you have any guidance on doing that on QC modems?

• Up0
  • Down0
Jordan
Posted: Tue, 2016-11-22 20:31

Hi Ankit,

I appreciate your help.

It's great that 3GPP can leverage IETF standards like IGMP and FLUTE to deliver a file, but perhaps 3GPP and QC can benefit more from the IETF philosophy of making versatile, simple protocols that can be combined to deliver a range of services.

If all I can deliver over eMBMS are cat videos, what was the point?  Internallly, eMBMS is using IGMP and IP multicast addresses.  Can I not get raw access to that?

Do I have to tunnel IP over DASH if I want to deliver arbitrary data instead of kittenz?

I apologize if that sounds disrespectful.  I really do value your help and QC's technology leadership.

Regards,

Jordan

• Up0
  • Down0
AnkitK Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2016-11-23 14:06

Hello Jordan,

Due to lack of market interest, HLS is not a supported service. However, with some experimentation with the network settings and media player on the device, it is possible that it may work.

Thanks

Ankit

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.