Forums - Using AllJoyn Framework instead of AllPlay Click SDK?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Using AllJoyn Framework instead of AllPlay Click SDK?
bigmacattack
Posted: Sun, 2015-06-14 07:54

I'd like to control and send audio to AllPlay devices from within my app. I realize I could use the AllPlay Click SDK to do this, but that SDK is only available on iOS and Android. I'd like to do this from within my cross-platform C++ app.

Since AllPlay is built on top of AllJoyn, shouldn't I be able to use the AllJoyn framework and sample code to develop control of AllPlay-enabled devices?

If so, where is a good place to get started?

If not, why not?

I've also posted this question over on the AllSeenAlliance Q&A here:

https://ask.allseenalliance.org/question/2912/using-alljoyn-framework-in...

• Up0
  • Down0
glennpierce
Posted: Sun, 2015-06-14 12:18

I believe allplay is built on top of AllJoyn. AllJoyn does not have sync etc.

• Up0
  • Down0
bigmacattack
Posted: Sun, 2015-06-14 15:11

Glenn,

AllPlay is definitely built on top of AllJoyn, I know that much already. Checkout this press release: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/05/14

I'm also aware that AllJoyn has a separate audio service nicknamed AJAS that is different from AllPlay, as discussed here: https://allseenalliance.org/developer-resources/forum/developers/alljoyn...

I'm specifically wanting to better understand the function of the AllPlay Click SDK. Is it essentially a wrapper around the AllJoyn SDK that simply discovers and exposes AllPlay devices and their functions?

• Up0
  • Down0
zoliff Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2015-06-16 15:19

Thanks for the creating the thread.  Today, AllJoyn is used for speaker discovery and also sending media notifications for next track playing to other AllJoyn devices.  AllPlay itself is used for media control, audio synchronization, and streaming within the SDK.  We plan on supporting additional AllJoyn services in future releases and will announce those publicly once they are ready.

• Up0
  • Down0
bigmacattack
Posted: Tue, 2015-06-16 16:10

Ahh ok. I think I'm understanding.

So AllJoyn handles the service discovery and eventing (i.e. notifications) tasks for AllPlay. But unlike UPnP, AllJoyn doesn't allow you to discover a list of methods/functions/commands that you can run against that service? If not, why not?

Is at least the structure of these commands the same accross all AllJoyn enabled devices regardless of service? Or will they very from service to service?

In the case of AllPlay, why must we use the provided Click SDK? Why isn't the AllPlay SDK just a list of RESTful HTTP API calls? Short of reverse engineering, is there anyway to avoid the use of the Click SDK? Could the Click SDK be made open source?

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.