Forums - How to get GL-ES 3.1 on Adreno 405 ?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to get GL-ES 3.1 on Adreno 405 ?
Alessandro
Profile picture
Posted: Tue, 2015-09-29 13:49

Hi 

I note that several vendors are selling Snapdragon 615 / Adreno 405 with old OpenGL-ES 3.0 drivers, even on Lollipop devices.

In fact, I coundn't find ANY Snapdragon 615/Adreno 405 with OpenGL-ES 3.1 and/or EAP.

I'd like to know if there is an installable OpenGL-ES 3.1 driver , or if Adreno 405 is actually a non-GLES-3.1 class hw, just a relabeled Adreno 3xx, perhaps 305/306.

I also found disturbing the press do not wrote a single line about this feature lack. All of then state that S615 IS a GL-ES 3.1, which is not true.

Regards

• Up0
  • Down0
Alessandro
Profile picture
Posted: Tue, 2016-01-05 16:45

I'm glad to say that Motorola's  Android 6.0 update for devices powered with Snapdragon 615 / Adreno 405 comes with OpenGL ES 3.1 AND GL_ANDROID_extension_pack_es31 !

Now Adreno 405 developers can take full advantage OpenGL ES 3.1. At least on updated devices.

• Up0
  • Down0
carrado.grant@g...
Posted: Thu, 2016-01-07 17:13

You do understand that a phone is not like your personal computer where you can just go out and download the latest drivers. Your are at the mercy of your phone carrier to release timely updates to bring the HW up to speed.
Casing point, from your initial post, one could infer that the S615 is not OpenGL ES 3.1 capability and that it was being falsely advertised as so. Then there is an update that exposed the capability. The hardware being capable and the hardware actually supporting the feature set are 2 separate issues. It all comes down to the driver, I assume that the hardware manufacture knows more about their device than either you or I, so if its states that the HW is capable, chances are it is. The specification for all the GPUs are available on the site and I've yet to see one that does NOT abide by its specification.

• Up0
  • Down0
Alessandro
Profile picture
Posted: Fri, 2016-01-08 11:37

Let's say you stand in front showcase, choosing a device. For development or fun use.

At some point  you pick your finalists, like  Moto X Play (S615) and  Moto X 2014. Both using latest Android. Lollipop, at that time.

You look at specs, at advertisements,   and it says that devices powered with S615 has a Adreno 405, which is OpenGL-ES 3.1 capable. Wow ! Nice ! That is what I need ! And the other one is only 3.0! Loser !

You buy it. And you get home and discover it is not like advertised. S615/A405 is 3.0 only, just like that other device you disqualify from the competition, just because it miss that feature you most like. And also happens to the other devices with same soc. There is no info about upgrades. You look at mirror and say: "What I did wrong ? Am I a fool ?". No. You were cheated! yeah! yeah !

So, don't blame me about issues between chips designers and phone manufactures. Blame who forgot to include the correct drivers on devices that are (were ?) advertised as "GL-ES 3.1 ready". Blame who advertised half-truths. (Is a half-truth a half lie ?)

At last, my Thank You for Motorola & Qualcomm guys which put hands at work to release right drivers (3.1) for Adreno 405 on first Marshmallow. Well, if we think that  S615 was released in Q3 2014, well ... I guess they have lot of fun fixing it.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.