Forums - Strange performance fluctuations

1 post / 0 new
Strange performance fluctuations
wd40bomber7
Posted: Mon, 2014-05-05 11:06

My development device is a Samsung S4 Active with an Adreno 320.

I've been using the profiler to improve performance in leaps and bounds on my device. Currently my render-loop uses a DRAW_CONTINUOUSLY opengl surface view, where the renderer makes calls into native code (compiled with the NDK) to draw the frames. Finally I got the performance to 60FPS and 60% GPU usage.

Unfortunately this is highly inconsistent. Later the same scene ran at 30FPS and 100% GPU usage.  Playing with the profiler I selected "Enable GPU DCVS and NAP". 

Before option enabled: 30 FPS, 100% GPU usage

While option enabled: 60 FPS, 100% GPU usage

After option disabled: 60FPS 50% GPU usage.

A later execution of the app runs at 45FPS, 100% GPU usage.

Another restart runs at 60FPS, 50% GPU usage. (pictured). What is going on? I'm always rendering the same scene, and the FPS is stable for each of these, but I have no idea why it's fluctuating between stable values between restarts.

Picture of the last occurence in the profiler -> http://imgur.com/UoTVqFb

Also its not like this is after running it for a long time, there's no "garbage" building up. It's just the first 20 seconds of one start of the program, compared with the first 20 seconds of another start of the program. And if somebody would tell me what the "Enable GPU DCVS and NAP" option even does, that would be a good start perhaps.

• Up0
  • Down0

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.