Forums - OpenGL ES 3.1 Image Units

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
OpenGL ES 3.1 Image Units
Sonicadvance1
Posted: Thu, 2014-05-01 06:17

I am wondering if you will be allowing this to be public knowledge before your drivers are released to support this. I will be implementing a feature in the future that uses image units for on the fly GPU texture decoding, and implementing it in compute shaders or fragment shaders depends on if image units are exposed in fragment shaders.

According to the OpenGL ES 3.1 spec, the minimum amount of image units that the spec requires to be conformant is 4 units. These 4 units are only required to be in the compute shaders, the minimum maximum(GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_IMAGE_UNIFORMS page 395 of the GLES 3.1 spec) specifies that one can have 0 image uniforms available to the fragment shader to be standards compliant with OpenGL ES 3.1.

Will you be exposing image units to the fragment/vertex shaders in order for one to do image load/store operations in these shader types?

• Up0
  • Down0
mhfeldma Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2014-05-06 09:22

Thanks for inquirying.  Unfortunately we can't comment on future, unannouned hardware or drivers.

• Up0
  • Down0
simon.j.gillespie
Posted: Mon, 2014-08-04 07:46

Hi,

Might I ask you to reconsider your reply, many other vendors have announced support for 3.1 so it would seem Qualcomm are a bit behind  in this area: From the OpenGL standards website- Qualcoms highest level driver in this list is for 3.0- http://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opengles. 

As a developer of mobile games I am trying to evaluate which devices to support and if your chipsets should be included.

Android L is only a few months away and currently I have a Nexus 5 with an Adreno 330 in it. Its quite important to know if I should buy an device with a K1 or a Mali in it.

While I'm here; I've noticed that Qualcomm dont provide good processor optimisation guides like Imagination and Arm. Would it be possible to provide these also please. Rationale- if we have the information we can build faster games when running on your hardware. The tools are great but dont explain conceptual details.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

• Up0
  • Down0
mhfeldma Moderator
Posted: Mon, 2014-08-04 11:27

We do plan on supporting ES 3.1 with Snapdragon 805, and we are planning to expose the imaging units to both vertex and fragment shader stages (so you should be able to do image load/store operations).

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.