Forums - Can this software be used on NON-snapdragon chipsets?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can this software be used on NON-snapdragon chipsets?
francomanganiello
Posted: Tue, 2015-01-06 04:30

Hello!

If it is possible, i would like to know if, by any chance, the Trepn Profiler could be used to measure the performance of a NON-Snapdragon processor. For example, a MediaTek SoC.

Thanks in advance!

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2015-01-06 08:34

That's a good question. Trepn should run on ANY smartphone or tablet running Android 2.3 or later.

What should work

- Frequency and load of all CPU cores

- Memory usage

- Percent battery remaining

- GPS state

- Bluetooth state 

- Screen state 

- Wi-Fi state, Wi-Fi RSSI level

- Application state

- Mobile data state

Extra capabilites you'll get when used with a Snapdragon processor

- Accurate battery power (on supported devices)

- GPU frequency and load

Wi-Fi and Cellular data by app 

- Screen brightness

What I'm not sure about

- Wi-Fi and Cellular data by app are not supported on all devices, but it's not based on chipset manufacturer.  

- Screen brightness

If you have a MTK device and can test it with Trepn, please share your results here.

- Rick

• Up1
  • Down0
francomanganiello
Posted: Wed, 2015-01-07 11:25

Thanks for the quick reply!

I own a Snapdragon-powered device, but i was curious about this possibility. 

I thought it might be a way of knowing whether your smartphone is running on a Qualcomm processor or not.

Can you think of a way of knowing this?

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Wed, 2015-01-07 12:27

Sure. There are many ways to tell if your mobile device has a Snapdragon processor in it. Here are a few:

1. Use the "Find a Smartphone or Tablet" page on the Snapdragon website.

2. Launch Trepn Profiler and use the menu soft-key to go to the About page. Then touch "Device Info." It will display a something like "msm8974". A quick Google search will tell you whether your processor is a Snapdragon.  

3. Use one of the many apps in Google Play like CPU-Z, which you can download here.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
francomanganiello
Posted: Wed, 2015-01-07 14:29

I really should say how grateful i am for your responses, Rick.

I had already checked all those ways, and in all of them the information shown was like you said, "msm8ABC". So i guess there are no doubts about my SoC.

As i am no programmer, i must also ask this: can this information be faked? I mean, can a fake device fool all this apps and make itself look like something else?

I'm a bit paranoid about this, i know it!

Greetings from Argentina!

-Franco

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Wed, 2015-01-07 15:53

Hi Franco,

Greetings from Southern California!  I hope to visit Argentina one day.

I agree your processor appears not to be a Snapdragon. I’m not an expert, but I suspect it’s possible to fake the processor name, but I don’t know how to do that. Even if the name was changed to a Snapdragon, it would not enable battery power, GPU frequency and the other SD unique stats.

Best regards,

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
francomanganiello
Posted: Wed, 2015-01-07 16:06

Rick,

Maybe I got you a little confused. What i meant by saying that my processor was MSM8ABC was it has all four numbers. Actually, it states MSM8226, a SD 400.

I also checked and it shows both GPU frequency and battery power.

I hope i can visit California some day too!

Thanks for everything!

And if you're planning on visiting some day, feel free to ask any question!

-Franco

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Wed, 2015-01-07 16:14

That's great news.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.