Forums - Trepn Profiler Power-related FAQ

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trepn Profiler Power-related FAQ
ToolsPM
Posted: Thu, 2014-04-24 09:35

Trepn Profiler – Power-related FAQ

Q: How can I display per-rail power values?

Trepn Profiler has special power monitoring capabilities when used with some (but not all) Snapdragon MDP development hardware. This makes it possible to display the power on selected rails associated with various hardware blocks like the CPU, graphics, camera and more. To use this feature, launch Trepn Profiler and follow these steps:

1. Touch the Settings icon in the upper right and go to “Data Points.” You should see “CPU” and other power rails under POWER STATS.

2. Start by unchecking all existing checkboxes. Then touch the checkboxes for the power rails you wish to monitor.

3. Next, press the Back button and touch either “Profile System” or “Profile App.”

4. Then touch either “Graph” or “Stats.”

Trepn Profiler should now display the delta power for the hardware rails you’ve selected. If all of the EPM rails read "0", there is a problem with your device. Send an mail to  and request that your device is serviced. 

When a Snapdragon 805 MDP tablet from Intrinsyc is idle, its average power values should be close to the following:

Battery Power   2500-3000mW

CPU                  10-70

Camera              0

Digital Core         6-25

Graphics              20-30

Internal Memory  0-35

LCD Backlight     128-450

SD Card                0.02-.2.0

WLAN/BT            3-40

Note: This are idle values. These will increase when your tablet is active. These are just estimates. Your values could be lower or highter than these. 

Tip: At any time during profiling, you can press the Back button and switch between Stats or Graph views. Use Graph view to see the correlation of individual power rails to overall power consumption – or other data points like CPU Load. Use Stats view for a quick comparison of the power deltas of several different rails at once.   

Q: Why don’t some devices display accurate battery power?

A: Battery power is not supported on all devices. Refer to the "Supported Device" post for a list of supported devices. 

Q: Which mobile devices are capable of displaying power rail measurements?

A: Currently this feature is only supported by Snapdragon 800 (8974) MDP tablets, Snapdragon 800 (8974) or Snapdragon 801-powered MDP smartphones, Snapdragon 805 (8084) MDP tablets and Snapdragon 810 (8994) MDP tablets. The Snapdragon 810 (8994) MDP Smartphone does NOT support per-rail power.

Q: I have a Snapdragon MDP. How can I get this software?

A: You can download it here (QDN log-in required). Note: If this is your first time on the Qualcomm Developer Network, you'll need to create a new account and log-in. Anyone can create an account on the Qualcomm Developer Network.

Make sure to uninstall any old Trepn software before you install the updated version. Also, keep in mind you will only see the power rails if you have one of the following devices:

-  Snapdragon 800 MDP tablet

-  Snapdragon 800 MDP smartphone

-  Snapdragon 801 MDP smartphone

-  Snapdragon 805 MDP tablet (v1.1 hardware or later)

- Snapdragon 810 MDP tablet  (810 smartphone NOT supported)

Q: I have a Snapdragon MDP tablet. How can I get this software?

A: It should be pre-installed on all Snapdragon 805 and Snapdragon 810 MDP tablets sold by Intrinsyc. Look for the Trepn icon in the Application locker.

Q: Where can I purchase a Snapdragon MDP smartphone or tablet?

A: Snapdragon MDPs are available for purchase at Intrinsyc.

Q: What are delta-based power measurements?

When Trepn starts profiling, it collects initial measurements to determine a baseline power for each of the selected rails at that time.  As Trepn profiles, the value displayed for the power rail is the delta between the current power and the initial baseline power. This makes it easy to see whether your actions have resulted in an increase in power consumption.

Q: Is it possible to see absolute power values in mW?

This version of Trepn Profiler only displays power in mW for the battery. All per-rail power readings are delta-based.

Q: I’m not seeing power rails on the Settings screen. What is the problem?

First confirm you are running Trepn Profiler 5.1p or Trepn 6.0 and have one of the supported devices listed above. If the About Box says Trepn Profiler 5.1s, it means you do not have a supported device.  Next, confirm that your Snapdragon MDPs has the newest software from Bsquare or Intrinsyc.

Q: What power rails are displayed on Snapdragon 800 or Snapdragon 801 MDP smartphones?

A: CPU, Graphics, LCD Backlight, Camera, Digital Core/SD Card/USB and WLAN/BT/FM.

Q: What power rails are displayed on a Snapdragon 800 MDP tablet?

A: CPU, Graphics, LCD Backlight, Camera, Audio, USB, SD Card, Internal Memory, WLAN/BT/FM, Digital Core/SD Card/USB and Codec/GPS/Wireless.

Q: What power rails are displayed on a Snapdragon 805 MDP tablet?

A: CPU, Graphics, LCD Backlight, Camera, SD Card, Internal Memory, WLAN/BT and Digital Core.

Q: What power rails are displayed on a Snapdragon 810 MDP tablet?

A: CPU (Cores 0-3), CPU (Cores 4-7), Graphics (GPU), LCD Backlight, Front Camera, Rear Camera, System Memory (RAM), Internal Memory/SD Card, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, Sensors and USB.

Q: Why do some rails (e.g. Camera) display 0?

A: Because all non-battery power readings are delta measurements. Unless the camera is in-use, there is no change between the baseline power measurement and the current value.

Q: How can I magnify the lower power rails in Graph view?

A: Power readings in Graph view auto-scale. If one reading is much larger than others, it will effectively push down the readings of the lower rails and make them harder to read. To address this issue, slide the “Legend” to the left and touch items like Battery Power and LCD Backlight to hide them. Keep doing this until the rest of the waveforms increase in size.

Q: Why can’t I get waveforms to auto-scale even though I’ve hidden the largest values?

A: If a power spike is short enough, it’s possible you won’t see it unless you zoom in, but it can still affect the auto-scale process.

Q: Does Trepn Profiler have an impact on any of the power rail readings?

Yes. The Trepn Profiler APK consumes a fair number of CPU cycles because it is capturing a large amount of data and writing it to memory. 

Q: Why do average power readings drop over time?

A: It is expected that average power values will drop over time when a hardware module is not currently in use. Refer to the Instantaneous values for a better approximation of the current power consumption. You can also switch to Graph view at any time by hitting the Back button to see a more accurate history of power consumption over time.

Q: How can I improve the accuracy of power readings on grouped rails?

A: When selecting a grouped power rail like WLAN/BT/FM, make sure to turn off the things you don’t want to test. For example, if you’re interested in measuring WLAN power usage, select the “WLAN/BT/FM” rail and turn off “Bluetooth” in Android Settings. Also make sure you don’t have the FM Radio app running.

Q: Is there a way to insert markers in my code that are displayed by Trepn?

Yes. Use Application States to insert markers into your code to help track down exactly which section of code is causing a power spike. Refer to Chapter 4 in the Trepn User Guide for more information.

• Up1
  • Down0
liebmann.g
Posted: Thu, 2014-05-15 05:13

Hey, 

I am about to research different approaches for saving energy while using an Android phone for navigation. A few questions:

+ You state in your FAQ, that only the MDP 800 supports GPS power rails - the 805 does not? Will there be a smartphone with the 805 MDP that supports GPS power rails?

+ I would also work with an 800 MDP tablet, but they are out of stock in the two shops you stated. Is there any way of getting one of those?

+ In one part of my work, I will have to put the phone into deep sleep. I suspect, Trepn can't measure any energy in this state - however, will there be interpolated data available for this period (calulated through: "battery-level before sleep" - "battery-level after sleep" / "time passed") ?

Some things I also wanna check when using GPS is the influence of the number of sattelites, power consumption profile (spikes, periods of constant consumption...). Is that possible with one of your MDP platforms? Are the power rails determined by a physical power measurement, or are they interpolated by activity state (GPS on/off etc.) or calculated through their behaviour from the hardware specifications?

Finally: Could you provide some sample data of an Trepn run on a MDP device with some standard programs? (Maps, Mail, etc.)

Thats a lot of questions, I know! I would be happy if you could answer some of them.

- Gerhard Liebmann

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Thu, 2014-05-15 08:58

Hello Gerhard, 

I'm not very technical, but I'll attempt to answer a few of your questions. Hopefully one of our engineers can respond as well. 

1. There will not be an Snapdragon 805-powered MDP smartphone that supports GPS power rails. There will be a Snapdragon 810-powered MDP smartphone later in the year, but it's too early to say whether that supports GPS power rails

2. At this time we don't expect to get any more Snapdragon 800 (8974) tablets in. However, you might want to send an email to Bsquare in another week asking if they have been able to provision more. 

3. It's correct that Trepn can't accurately measure the energy in a deep sleep state. For that application, you should consider an off-traget power monitor like a Mongoose. 

4. Q: Some things I also wanna check when using GPS is the influence of the number of sattelites, power consumption profile (spikes, periods of constant consumption...). Is that possible with one of your MDP platforms? Are the power rails determined by a physical power measurement, or are they interpolated by activity state (GPS on/off etc.) or calculated through their behaviour from the hardware specifications?

A: Power rails are not interpolated or estimated. We measure actual power consumption. Some rails are more useful than others depending on where the EPM sensor is placed. Even though we don't have a power rail for GPS, you can still get an idea what's going on by minimizing all non-GPS-related activities (e.g. screen brightness, turn off all non-essential services and settings, etc) and using battery power -- along with Application states to see where in your code the spikes are occuring. 

5. Q: Finally: Could you provide some sample data of an Trepn run on a MDP device with some standard programs? (Maps, Mail, etc.)

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Thu, 2014-05-15 09:00

Just realized I forgot the answer to #5 and our system won't let me edit my previous response so... 

A: I don't have instructions how to install Google Play and Google services. Some apps can be sideloaded. Others won't work when that's done. If you're profiling Google Apps, I suggest you use a Nexus 4 or 5. Both work with Trepn and display accurate battery power readings. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
nawaf.almoosa
Posted: Sun, 2014-07-20 08:57

Greetings,

On the 805-based MDP tablet, would it be possible to read the power on a per-core basis? Or is it just a single reading for the total CPU power? 

If the latter is the case, would it be at all possible to estimate per-core power based on the available runtime data? 

Thanks!

Nawaf

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Sun, 2014-07-20 10:22

Your question is a good one. EPM rails vary by chipsets. Early chipsets did provide per core power readings, but all Snapdragon 800 series chipsets only expose a single processor power value. I expect there could be a way to estimate per core readings based on other data, but I'll let one of the engineers comment on that. One potential issue you should be aware of is that are per-rail readings are deltas, not total power.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
nawaf.almoosa
Posted: Tue, 2014-07-22 11:21

Hey Rick, 

aha - that makes sense. since there are online articles 2-3 years ago that mentioned snapdragon provided per-cor measurement. Thanks for clearing the issue. 

I'm interested in the 805-based MDP as a platform for energy-efficient computing research. It is really great platform, but if there's a future consideration for including per-core power measurement it will be strongly welcomed by many users like myself, since there is a genuine need for this feature that no platform today is providing. 

If one of the engineers can comment on the power estimation issue that would be really great. Would it be possible for instance to estimate it based on activity counters?

As for the readings provided by EPM circuitry, is the initial baseline power readable? Because we can use it along with the delta reading to calculate the actual power value (please correct me if I'm wrong)

thanks!
nawaf

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2014-07-22 12:08

Hi Nawaf,

Your input is helpful. I'll let our EPM team know that you'd like to see per core power measurements come back on future chipsets.

I'm looking into the possibility of providing absolute (non-delta) power readings in the future via other Qualcomm software. If that gets approved, you'll see an announcement about it here or related to future MDP announcements.

I'll let one of our engineers comment on your other questions.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
sahin
Posted: Wed, 2014-08-27 12:59

Hello,

I am attempting to measure CPU and GPU power consumption individually on a Snapdragon MDP8974 mobile device. I can measure the overall power consumption of the phone via sensors accessed through uner /sys/class/power_supply/batter/ directory or using the Trepn profiler. However, the profiler does not provide per-core or per-component (GPU, DSP etc.) power consumption.

Based on the FAQ section above, I would expect my phone to also support multiple power rails as it has Snapdragon 800 processor. I have downloaded the latest version of the Trepn software which does not seem to help. I was thinking if there is mechanism to enable/disable the power rails.

I would appreciate your help and advises regarding this issue.

Best,

--Onur

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Wed, 2014-08-27 13:22

Hi Onur,

What type of mobile device are you using? 

Per-rail power measurements of things like CPU, GPU, etc. are only available when using this version of Trepn on special hardware like the Snapdragon 800 or 800 smartphones or tablets sold previously by Bsquare, or the Snapdragon 805 tablet currently sold by Intrinsyc.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
sahin
Posted: Wed, 2014-08-27 13:54

Hi Rick,

Probably something was wrong with the version of Trepn I had (I thought I had the latest). I installed the version on the link you have provided and it seems to work. It does not show per-core power but I can see CPU and GPU power independently which solves my problem for now.

Thanks very much for your help.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Wed, 2014-08-27 14:26

No problem. Glad I could help.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
nawaf.almoosa
Posted: Mon, 2014-09-01 05:50

Hey Rick, 

Thanks! I also wanted to ask: My understanding is that the EPM circuitry in the Snapdragon S4 Pro (e.g. in a Nexus 7) does contain per-core power measurement. If this is accurate, is there a version of Trepn Profiler or any other way of accessing those reading?

Cheers,

Nawaf

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Mon, 2014-09-01 15:43

Hi Nawaf,

That's a good question. The Nexus 7 (and all other commercial mobile devices) are missing the Embedded Power Measurement (EPM) PSoC and current sense resistors required to display per-rail power measurements. This circuitry is only found in Snapdragon MDP smartphones and tablets.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Sankar
Posted: Tue, 2014-09-16 16:49

Hi Rick,

Great post !! 

As few other people have experienced a similar issue of not able to see any other components under "POWER STATS". I could see only battery power under power stats. I am using Snapdragon MDP 800 phone and the trepn profiler installed is of version 5.0. I am not sure if I am missing anything here. It would be great if you could throw in some pointers.

- Sankar

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2014-09-16 17:48

Two tips:

1. Make sure your device is running the newest software from the BSQUARE site. Let me know if you need the URL for that.

2. There are two different 5.0 versions of Trepn. Uninstall what you have, and make sure you are running this version. https://developer.qualcomm.com/downloads/trepn-profiler-5.zip

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Sankar
Posted: Wed, 2014-09-17 05:52

I have installed the same trepn profiler that is available through the link. Could you please give me the URL for latest software from BSQUARE ? What does this software include - new applications or kernel?

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Wed, 2014-09-17 08:11

Check the directions on the BSQUARE site to see what is included. I would expect it includes everything, since it reflashes your devices.

Bsquare will be providing access to software downloads through the end of 2014. Just go to the Resource Center on the Bsquare website and sign in and you'll be able to access all of the existing software downloads. You'll probably need to enter the serial number for your device.

Here is the link for their Resource Center:

https://store.bsquare.com/doc_download/

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
Sankar
Posted: Wed, 2014-09-17 13:33

Thanks for the help Rick. I did update the device but however battery power is the only field disaplyed underpower stats. 

• Up0
  • Down0
Sankar
Posted: Wed, 2014-09-17 13:43

Sorry, my bad. I had two versions of trepn profiler (5.0s and 5.0p) and looks like 5.0p is the latest one. I tried with 5.0s and responded too soon that it didn't work. After installing the 5.0p, other power rail measurements are shown. Thanks much for your help Rick.

• Up0
  • Down0
sahin
Posted: Thu, 2014-09-18 08:02

Hello,

I was wondering how Trepn actually measures the power of each individual components like CPU, GPU, display. Battery power can be measured using the current and voltage sensors readable via sysfs interface, and, based on my comparison of measurement, I think Trepn also uses this interface to calculate battery power.

But I was not able to find any other voltage/current sensors readable via sysfs. Does Trepn use a soft power model to estimate the component level power consumption based on battery power and, possibly, other stats (i.e., utilization, kernel events)? If not and there are actual sensors that gives those power measurements, are they accessible through sysfs or any other method?

Kind Regards,

Onur

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Sun, 2014-09-21 15:40

Hello Onur,

Your question is a good one. I'll do my best to answer it. Hopeful an engineer can add to my response if needed.

Trepn relies on two different sources for power measurements.

1. Battery power comes from a power management chip called a PMIC, which is responsible for distributing power from the battery to other components. As you mentioned, this data is read via the sysfs interface.

2. Per rail power measurements come from an EPM PSoC that collects analog power readings from sense resistors on the motherboard and converts them to digital so the Premier Edition of Trepn Profiler can read them. As you might have guessed, EPM stands for Embedded Power Measurement. Currently only Snapdragon MDPs have an EPM PSoC and the sense resistors required for per-rail power measurements.

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
liebmann.g
Posted: Tue, 2014-11-18 17:02

Hey Rick and Qualcomm team,

thanks for all the good answers you provided! One thing is still unclear to me: the delta values. I recorded the following values with my 805 MDP just now:

Camera - Delta - 6.46
Internal Memory - Delta - 16.39
SD Card - Delta - 2.31
LCD Backlight - Delta - 426.39
WLAN/BT - Delta - 7.93
CPU - Delta - 82.46
Digital Core - Delta - 50.41
Graphics - Delta - 61.17
Battery Power - Power Measurement - 44.47mW

1) What is the unit of the delta values?

2) How do the delta values correlate to the baseline? I ask this, because i turned the screen brightness to 100% and kept the screen on for the whole run. In that setup, there shouldn't be any change in power consumption of the LCD (or very little). But the LCD delta is by far the biggest number. How can there be a delta/difference if the consumption does not change?

3) Do the delta values correlate to each other in a linear fashion? (e.g. If the WLAN delta is 10 and the LCD delta is 400: does that mean, the LCD consumes 40 times the power the WLAN does?)

4) There are also components that have no power rails. Is it possible to calculate the consumed power of all other components with the data Trepn records? (What I want to calulate is this: AverageBatteryPower(44mW) - WLAN(??) - LCD(??) - SD Card(??) - etc = PowerConsumptionOfComponentsWithoutPowerSensors) 

Thanks, Gerhard

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2014-11-18 17:36

Hi Gerhard, 

I'll do my best to answer your questions. I would imagine the Trepn engineers will correct me if my answers are not accurate. 

Q: What is the unit of the delta values?

A: I believe it's mW

Q: How do the delta values correlate to the baseline? I ask this, because i turned the screen brightness to 100% and kept the screen on for the whole run. In that setup, there shouldn't be any change in power consumption of the LCD (or very little). But the LCD delta is by far the biggest number. How can there be a delta/difference if the consumption does not change?  

A: When you started the Trepn home screen was probably in the foreground. It's all black and should use less power than a lighter colored screen. The difference in power consumption between a black and white screen is substantial.  

Q: Do the delta values correlate to each other in a linear fashion? (e.g. If the WLAN delta is 10 and the LCD delta is 400: does that mean, the LCD consumes 40 times the power the WLAN does?)

A: Definitely not, although it is true that Wi-Fi uses a fraction of the power of a backlight. The rail deltas are only useful in comparing the changes on a single rail. 

Q: There are also components that have no power rails. Is it possible to calculate the consumed power of all other components with the data Trepn records? (What I want to calulate is this: AverageBatteryPower(44mW) - WLAN(??) - LCD(??) - SD Card(??) - etc = PowerConsumptionOfComponentsWithoutPowerSensors) 

A: Battery power would be the closest to total system power, but you'd would need absolute per-rail readings to subtract the rails from the total, so no that's not possible with the version of Trepn that you are using. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
jeffreywang
Posted: Mon, 2015-10-19 15:16

Hello,

I installed Trepn on my MDP810-Tablet, the version I installed is 6.0p, but under settings->data points->power stats, there is only "battery power", I don't find per rail power consumption items, my tablet has the latest software installed from Intrinsyc, is there anything wrong with my system? Hope to get your help.

Thanks

Jeffrey

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Mon, 2015-10-19 16:09

Hi Jeffrey, 

Thank you for reporting this. We're looking into this issue now and will let you know what we find. Thanks. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2015-10-20 15:33

O.K. Jeffrey, we were able to look into the problem you reported. Here is what we found: 

- We ran Trepn 6.0p on a Snapdragon 810 tablet from Intrinsyc and saw 9 power rails under data points. 

- The device we tested had the following software image: MDP810Tablet_Upgrade_Package_2.2_for_FlashingUtility_V2_HW_ONLY.zip. If you are not running that, you can download it here (log-in required): http://support.intrinsyc.com/projects/mdp810/files

Can you make sure you're running that software and test again? 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
jeffreywang
Posted: Tue, 2015-10-20 16:20

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the investigation. The image I'm using is exactly same, I downloaded from Intrinsyc website and installed by FlashingUtilityInstaller. But I could not see power consumption per rail. Is there any other way can verify is my device or settings have problem?

Thanks

Jeffrey

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Tue, 2015-10-20 19:02

It's good to hear that you're running the newest software. Let me check with our engineers and see if they have additional suggestions for you. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
c_riddle (not verified)
Posted: Tue, 2015-10-20 19:41

Hi Jeffrey,

Within Trepn, can you navigate to the Trepn About screen and tell us the version number exactly as it is displayed?

For Example:
 • "6.0s"
 • "6.0p (6)"

If it is more convenient, you can select Feedback and send us an e-mail.  Your version number will appear in the subject line.

Thanks,
--Lance

• Up1
  • Down0
jeffreywang
Posted: Wed, 2015-10-21 07:52

Hello Lance,

The Trepn version is "6.0p (6)" showed on my device.

Thanks

Jeffrey

• Up0
  • Down0
c_riddle (not verified)
Posted: Wed, 2015-10-21 12:58

Thanks, Jeffrey.  That is helpful.

Also, it is important on the MDP810 Tablet to use the latest version of Trepn (currently v6.1.1) because it has some updates for power profiling on that device.  You can download the latest version here.

I don't suspect those changes will solve the problem you are seeing, but it will be important once we get the device working.

--Lance

• Up1
  • Down0
cindyc
Posted: Mon, 2016-02-01 13:02

Is the MDP 820 supported for per rail power values? Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Mon, 2016-02-01 13:44

Trepn Profiler does not support per-rail power on the Snapdragon 820 devices. 

- Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
kapic001
Posted: Fri, 2018-03-30 13:51

Hi,

What is the status of Trepn development in 2018? On Google Pixel 2, powered by Snapdragon 835, I could not get "Battery Power" data points (always stay 0). 

Thanks,

Kittipat

• Up0
  • Down0
ToolsPM
Posted: Fri, 2018-03-30 15:25

Sadly, development on Trepn is currently on hold. Some of Trepn's features like battery power stopped working after Android 6.0. Trepn can estimate power, but Google is also blocking some of the counters we need to do so accurately. 

-Rick

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.