Forums - SnapDragon Temperature

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
SnapDragon Temperature
bgee
Posted: Thu, 2017-01-05 12:56

Is there a way to monitor the temperature of the SnapDragon chip on the board?  Will it shutdown if the chip gets too hot?

• Up0
  • Down0
br_robot Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2017-01-10 16:52

You could check the chip temperature using these shell commands:

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/mode

- to check which zones are enabled

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp

- get the temperature of each zone

Or you could try this tool: https://developer.qualcomm.com/software/snapdragon-profiler

I believe the power management chip would shut it down if the temperatures are too high.

• Up0
  • Down0
tcanham
Posted: Wed, 2017-02-01 10:22

This is very cool (no pun intended). Is there a list of which zones correspond to which parts of the board?

• Up0
  • Down0
bgee
Posted: Wed, 2017-03-01 15:56
I'm monitoring these snapdragon temperatures using this command "cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp" and I'm sing a bash script profiler to monitor these temperatures.  right now the temperature threshold is 85 but I have some questions.

1)  What are these temperatures measurements of?  Snapdragon die?  ambient?
2)  Also is 85 too low?  We expect a pretty hot environment and if these are junction temperatures I think it's safe to set them higher to around 100.
  • Up0
  • Down0
zach.thorson
Posted: Tue, 2018-01-09 14:34

Which processor and kernel version are you using?

You can at least locate which thermal zones are for the gpu, pop memory, and each cpu by looking at the device tree files in the kernel for your particular processor.  I have done with for the 820 w/ kernel 3.18 and the 805 with kernel 3.10.

• Up0
  • Down0
mrroboto
Posted: Fri, 2019-07-19 11:48

Is there any way to publish the CPU temperature on a ROS topic?

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.