Forums - Splash screens and LVDS displays

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Splash screens and LVDS displays
trothlisberger
Posted: Sat, 2021-03-20 13:07

We are in the early stages of planning a design using the C5165 SOM in a product that will be using a larger display that is likely to have an LVDS interface. We have identified two candidate translators to go from DSI to LVDS - the TI SN65DSI84 and the Lattice CrossLink LIF-MD6000. The TI chip requires I2C configuration on every boot, so we are concerned that it could pose a barrier to presenting content on the display shortly after power-on (i.e., splash screen). The LIF-MD6000 is a non-volatile FPGA based solution that would circumvent that concern, but costs more. If we can be assured that the QRB5165 will boot to the point of being able to configure the TI chip (presumably within the kernel?) in a timely manner, then we would be comfortable designing for the TI chip. So a few questions:

1. How much time does it take in the QRB5165 boot process before a splash screen can be presented on the display? Where in the boot process can this first occur?
  2. How much time does it take in the QRB5165 boot process before peripheral drivers are loaded in the kernel?
  3. Alternatively, is there any possibility of incorporating custom I2C accesses into the boot loaders?
  4. Is there any known prior experience using a non-DSI display with the QRB5165 that could be informative?

Thanks in advance.

• Up0
  • Down0
mita.rathod
Posted: Wed, 2021-03-24 10:36

Hi trothlisberger,
Our team is reviewing the query and will get back to you soon!
Thanks for waiting!
Mita

• Up0
  • Down0
mita.rathod
Posted: Thu, 2021-03-25 21:20

Hi trothlisberger,
With respect to first 3 quesries will need boot up logs , please connect the uart and capture boot up logs
Thanks

• Up0
  • Down0
mita.rathod
Posted: Mon, 2021-03-29 15:08

Hi Trothlisberger
In regards to query 3) and 4) , please check comments
3)Alternatively, is there any possibility of incorporating custom I2C accesses into the boot loaders?
Ans : Yes, we can do some I2C config on the xbl display side
4)Is there any known prior experience using a non-DSI display with the QRB5165 that could be informative?
Ans:We used MIPI -> HDMI IC like lt9611, not used MIPI-LVDS IC before, lt9611 also need configured by I2C 

Thanks,
Mita

• Up0
  • Down0
trothlisberger
Posted: Thu, 2021-04-01 18:00

Hi Mita,

Thank you for the answers. Sorry for my slow response. We didn't have an RB5 when I first posted this but received one a couple days ago and I was hoping to get an answer by observation, but it won't turn on. I'm working on that through a separate channel.

Can you provide some more information on what we would need to do to customize the boot loader to include the I2C configuration of the bridge chip? Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
trothlisberger
Posted: Tue, 2021-04-13 17:47

Hi Mita,

I'm still looking for information on what is required to add the I2C configuration to the bootloader. Please advise where I can find more information on that. Thanks.

• Up0
  • Down0
mita.rathod
Posted: Thu, 2021-04-15 12:34

Hi trothlisberger,
Bootloader source code is not open to custoemr, hence can not be modify from customer side. To get further support please reach out to our sales team [email protected]
Thanks,
Mita

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.