Forums - Can we upgrade QCA4020 stack using different protocols

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can we upgrade QCA4020 stack using different protocols
embeddedshiv
Profile picture
Posted: Fri, 2019-07-19 23:25

Hello Qualcomm Community,

I am studding the QCA4020 Module Documents and I am able to know that it's supports OTA Upgrade.

But I wants to know that,

Can we put OTA upgrade to QCA4020 using differnt protocols?

Such as,

Upgrading Zigbee/BLE Stack using WIFI

OR

Upgrading WIFI stack using Zigbbe OR BLE Protocol?

OR 

We have to upgrade ech of them seperatly using their dedicated protocols?

Will you please help me to undertsand this consept?

Regards,

Shiv Patil.

• Up0
  • Down0
abhghos
Posted: Sun, 2019-07-28 21:56
Can we put OTA upgrade to QCA4020 using differnt protocols?
Yes we can do OTA over either WiFi or Bluetooth.
OTA can be done over Zigbee as well, but that will be highly inefficient. In general OTA is done through mobile devices, which do not have Zigbee radios.

We have to upgrade ech of them seperatly using their dedicated protocols?
There are separate image files for each processor.
M4 uses QCA402x_Hashed.elf
M0 uses ioe_ram_mo_threadx_ipt.mbn
WLAN uses the wlan_fw_img.bin
These three combined, from what is referred to as a image set. All three files can be uploaded via the same protocol.

• Up0
  • Down0
steven
Posted: Thu, 2020-02-27 00:00

So how would secondary nodes, that are only connected to the border-router over Zigbee or Thread receive their firmware-updates?

Let's assume in the normal case you have a mesh network of Zigbee or Thread where one of the QCA4020 is the borderrouter/coordinator and the only node connected to Wi-Fi. Than the nodes connected through zigbee or thread in this mesh network should get their firmware update through this borderrouter/coordinator. Is this implemented?

• Up0
  • Down0
abhghos
Posted: Thu, 2020-02-27 02:10

OTA of the secondary nodes over the Mesh Network or otherwise is not supported currently. As there is no specific standard around this kind of OTA. There are a few custom solutions from different vendors in the market to make this feature a reality.

BT SIG has plans to roll out a specification for update of bluetooth mesh nodes, however there has been no news on the release date of the updated specification.

• Up0
  • Down0
steven
Posted: Thu, 2020-02-27 04:56

I just found this post: https://developer.qualcomm.com/comment/16967

If I understand correctly, you would be able to upgrade the border router, which in turn is the server for the other nodes.

In the manual I found in 6.3.9.10 something that should be usable (when I try to post the text it tells me I can only post english :p)

Will have to try this out.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.