Forums - Calibration of 16MHz crystal

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Calibration of 16MHz crystal
Acutetech
Posted: Thu, 2016-08-11 11:42

Documentation suggests that the 16MHz crystal trim process should be performed while measuring a 2.4GHz RF output. Yet it is possible to route the 16MHz oscillator to a PIO pin using PioSetAnaMonClk(pio_ana_clk_16M). Since the RF output on a given channel should be a fixed multiple of the 16MHz oscillator it seems to me that the crystal could be trimmed by monitoring the 16MHz signalon a PIO pin, rather than the RF signal.

Is this the case? If so, should the crystal be trimmed to exactly 16.0000MHz, or some slightly different frequency?

Regards - Charles

• Up0
  • Down0
Dr. Nissim Zur
Profile picture
Posted: Thu, 2016-08-11 12:54

How you route the 16Mhz to PIO ? 

And why not use RF for that ? 

• Up0
  • Down0
Acutetech
Posted: Thu, 2017-06-29 03:28

I have tuned a number of boards to give the correct 2.4GHz frequency as measured by a spectrum analyser. In each case the 16MHz crsytal frequency (routed to a PIO pin and measured with a low-frequency digital counter) was 15.99985MHz.

This what I would expect: a phase-locked loop frequency synthesiser multiplies the low frequency by a rational number (n/m) and so the 2.4GHz frequency to crystal frequency ratio should always be the same.

I postulate that RF tuning can be done with only an inexpensive frequency counter, setting the crystal to 15.99985MHz.

Any comments?

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.