Forums - Allplay Dead Product?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Allplay Dead Product?
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Fri, 2015-04-24 09:16

I really hope not, I am really impressed with mine.  However there doesn't seem to be any traction, and it seems Panasonic (in the UK at least) are trying to dump product whereever they can.  I just bought some cheap ALL3 units, at a very nice price the seller had loads of them.

It all feels like a fire sale, which is a shame, as ALLPLAY is a very decent Sonos beating platform, it supports high resolution audio, and it rock solid (I have had no problems whatsoever with my units).  Where are the blog posts about AllPlay?  Where is the buzz about the ONLY platform to delivery quality multi-room experience.  a handful of posts in the last 4 months?

I really hope I am wrong, and there is a huge SDK update that brings things like material design to the Android client, and opens the platform up to Linux, Windows, REST API etc, and bring new services onboard (Google Music being the obvious one).

Please don't let a great platform, that's only just begun, to stagnate.

Quote:

pieface@raspberrypi:~# apt-cache search allplay

pieface@raspberrypi:~# apt-cache search alljoyn

• Up1
  • Down0
Re: Allplay Dead Product? Best Answer
zoliff Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2015-04-24 14:49

Hey qualcomm17,

Nice to hear you’re pleased with AllPlay and I can assure you AllPlay is very much alive and well. In fact there are a number of new AllPlay products and compatible music services that have recently launched or are in the works for 2015. Here are a few highlights:

• - There are a total of 13 announced brands powered by AllPlay as of January. A few of the recent additions to the AllPlay platform are Harvard Audio, Bayan Audio, House of Marley and more
  •  
  • - Fon is in the process of updating their Gramofon units worldwide with AllPlay firmware. Published last week.
  •  
  • - Monster has just launched their SoundStage speakers at BestBuy in the US:
    •      - In stores and online now.
    •      - Best Buy Wireless Home Audio Buyers Guide featuring AllPlay. 
  •  
  • - The AllPlay Click SDK continues to gain support, with services like SoundCloud, Tidal and QQ Music announcing support for AllPlay this year.
  •  
  • - Panasonic has also announced several new AllPlay enabled products for 2015.  

Please keep the feedback coming!

• Up0
  • Down0
m0
Posted: Thu, 2016-06-16 04:06

But traction on allplay is still not that much and so many not answered questions in the last years really bring the feeling that there is only one employee (luckily there is at least one) supporting this forum. Not sure if its worth to investigate into it. They could have just let the community build the next big thing out of it, based on their technology, that ppl would buy qualcomm hardware then ..

• Up0
  • Down0
Trevor Cullen
Posted: Thu, 2016-06-16 05:26

Hold on - Allplay is far from dead - can't say much (Euro rep for them) - but now the merger of CSR and Qualcomm is settled (took 6 months) the Allplay effort is resuming with full exec backing new hires etc. Watch this space.

• Up0
  • Down0
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Sat, 2016-06-25 00:24

It's hard not to come to the conclusion it's not dead.

No new products, no new manufacturers, SDK update promised 2 months ago has not arrived...

• Up0
  • Down0
daniel.tai Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2016-06-28 09:09

Hi Pinball,

I am sorry for the delay.  CSR joined Qualcomm and they switched to a different organization structure and we got a lot of structural changes.  Development for AllPlay continues and SDK updates were finished 2 and a half months ago and ready to go.  Unfortunately, due to the structural changes, the new Qualcomm legal is not as keen as releasing them without deep dives and proper reviews.  They recently finalized and released v2.2 firmware, but we are already so far ahead of development, we may end up releasing v2.3 for SDK instead.

Again, sorry about this.

Daniel

• Up0
  • Down0
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Fri, 2016-10-07 13:00

Any updates on AllPlay news of ANY sort?

• Up0
  • Down0
Ooch
Posted: Wed, 2016-10-12 08:03

My AllPlay devices (4x Panasonic SC-All3 and 2x SC-All8's) received a firmware update today to version 2.0.35-S/1.1.49/1.0a5-p13.

Is there anywhere one is able to find a changelog for these updates? Also, is there a user forum where owners can discuss AllPlay hardware, software and general ownership/usage etc?

• Up0
  • Down0
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Wed, 2016-10-12 08:51
Mine too, the ones that are still working. These Panasonic 1st gen units have a critical design issue, where the audio stage fails. I have had most of mine fail, few remain, and Panasonic seemingly want to try and pretend there is no issue. My 2nd gen units (and SC-all1 without Audio stage) all work fine, but it's depressing to see such behaviour from a tier 1 manufacturer As for the firmware, is still 2.0 (not 2.2,2.2 or 2.3) Allplay code, it seems like a minor bug fix to and end of life product.
  • Up0
  • Down0
Ooch
Posted: Thu, 2016-10-13 03:38

This is bordering on depressing; I only bought my devices this summer as they were on a huge sale. So from what you're saying it appears there's little to no development, and after a short time the devices will all begin to fail?

I did experience a doa device exhibiting the failed audio stage you describe and I was able to return that one for a refund. I also have on 2nd gen unit (an SC-All05) which is obviously on a different firmware cycle.

Do you think 1st gen devices have been hung out to dry at the expense of 2nd gen? Or are you concluding that AllPlay as a platform is being phased out?

• Up0
  • Down0
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Sat, 2016-11-26 02:38

There are regularly vague comments about the lack of SDK updates due to the legal department at Qualcomm, which I guess can only mean 1 of 2 things.

1/. It's a dead product.

2/. There is a huge announcement due, but only when legal give the OK.

I really hope it's 2/ even if we can get a "please be paitent, it will be worth the wait", that would be better than the total silence about the platform that we are currently getting.

• Up0
  • Down0
mgracanin
Posted: Thu, 2017-10-26 02:17

Any news on next AllPlay iOS SDK release?

• Up0
  • Down0
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Sat, 2018-02-17 15:22

Hoping right now, Broadcom just buy these clowns out and do a better job.  Look at this  thread of deceit from Qualcomm that is just spun lies for 2 years...

• Up0
  • Down0
Pinball Wizard
Posted: Mon, 2018-05-21 10:01
Trevor Cullen
Posted: Thu, 2016-06-16 12:26
Hold on - Allplay is far from dead - can't say much (Euro rep for them) - but now the merger of CSR and Qualcomm is settled (took 6 months) the Allplay effort is resuming with full exec backing new hires etc. Watch this space.
Still watching this space 2 years later....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Up0
  • Down0
david.g.peters
Posted: Wed, 2019-08-28 06:28

Yeah, it's dead, and it obviously has been dying already for some years.

Manufacturers that once supported AllPlay:
D-Home, D-Stream, Fon/Gramofon, Hitachi, Monster Soundstage, Medion, Musaic, Panasonic

Manufacturers that allegedly supported AllPlay in 2017:
Panasonic, Hitachi, House of Marley, Magnat - however most of them also seem to be in the process of discontinuing their AllPlay products in the meantime.

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.