Forums - Check if the device has support to LTE Broadcast.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Check if the device has support to LTE Broadcast.
pedroalmeida
Posted: Fri, 2014-10-31 09:32

Hello,

I would know if the LTE Broadcast SDK has a method that INFORMS me if the device has support for LTE broadcast .

Regardless,

Pedro Almeida.

• Up0
  • Down0
elmira Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2014-11-05 17:56

Hi Pedro,

The SDK does not have a direct API to check whether the device supports the LTE Broadcast or not. However if the app calls  initializeMSDC  API and it does not receive the initialization confirmation within some time or it receives errors like ERROR_MSDC_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE , then it may indicate the LTE Broadcast support is not there.

Regards,

Elmira

• Up0
  • Down0
caner_b
Posted: Mon, 2014-11-24 01:32

Hi all,

I want to test the Qualcomm LTE Broadcast SDK on a standard Android device. The problem is that most devices (at least in Germany) have their Broadcast function disabled. Are there any known devices which have LTE Broadcast enabled, or are there any known methods for unlocking this said functionality? I would be very happy to hear your ideas.

Regards,

Caner

• Up0
  • Down0
btuite
Posted: Mon, 2014-11-24 16:20

Hello,

LTE Broadcast is a network supported/enabled feature, so you'll need access to an LTE Broadcast test environment (infrastructure or test equipment) for testing. It is best to work with the mobile operator to align on application requirements and also for determining the targeted devices, since Android devices are just beginning to introduce this capability.

Best regards,

Brian

• Up0
  • Down0
caner_b
Posted: Tue, 2014-11-25 01:02

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I understand the Network-enabled-part of it, but the thing is that most Mobile Phones have their LTE Broadcast function disabled, so you cant access it with the Qualcomm LTE Broadcast SDK. For example, I am testing the SDK with a Galaxy Note 3, which has a Snapdragon 800 built in. I can't get the MSDC initialized, because it is deactivated in the Firmware I guess (ERROR_MSDC_UNABLE_TO_INITIALIZE, Error initializing Root Service). So my question is: Are there any known Broadcast-enabled devices or a way to activate it in the devices.

Regards,

Caner

• Up0
  • Down0
btuite
Posted: Tue, 2014-11-25 17:45

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, it is more complicated than just turning on LTE Broadcast in an existing device, since the device vendor has to provide an LTE broadcast software build, plus include the MSDC software. Korea Telecom has a commercial LTE Broadcast network, so you could investigate obtaining an LTE Broadcast enabled device from this market.

Best regards,

Brian

• Up0
  • Down0
Mariah12
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2014-12-17 03:27

How can I enable LTE broadcast, if it is disabled. Can you explain the process? Are there any chances of having issues with network service provider or it is a compatibility issue?

Mariah Albert
Appliconic

• Up0
  • Down0
AnkitK Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2014-12-17 10:18

Dear Customer,

LTE Broadcast feature needs to be enbled at modem level by OEM's. Usually OEM's work with Carriers to enable and certify their devices to work on Carriers Broadcast network.

Thanks

Ankit

• Up0
  • Down0
Mariah12
Profile picture
Posted: Wed, 2014-12-17 21:11

Thank you Ankit.

• Up0
  • Down0
Zdenek
Posted: Thu, 2015-03-12 12:16

Hi, is the SDK only for qualcomm chipsets? Or is universal but is optimized for Qualcomm?

• Up0
  • Down0
AnkitK Moderator
Posted: Thu, 2015-03-12 16:34

Dear Customer,

Yes, this SDK is only for Qualcomm Chipsets with Qualcomm Middleware.

Thanks

Ankit

• Up0
  • Down0
Zdenek
Posted: Thu, 2015-03-12 17:40

Hi Ankit,

when you are talking about Qualcomm Middleware, does it mean that device vendor has to integrate? In other words this is not available by default when there Qualcomm chipset?

The second question is if you know what is a difference between your SDK and solution provided by Expway which should also support Qualcomm chipsets? Are they also provide an SDK or is transparently integrated in to the OS (and player) by device vendor? Do you know if Expway solution is chosen by the vendors on the market?

• Up0
  • Down0
AnkitK Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2015-03-13 11:22

Dear Customer,

The device manufacturers typically include Qualcomm's Multicast Services Device Client (MSDC) only when they build an LTE Broadcast enabled smartphone or tablet based on a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset.

We don't comment on other companies products.

Thanks

Ankit

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.