Forums - Izat sdk

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Izat sdk
mohsinbangalore
Posted: Tue, 2013-03-26 03:13

Hi

I am developing an android app where Izat level location accuracy is very critical. I have a Xperia Ion which has a snapdragon processor and my android version is ICS. I was trying to run the sample Izat app that you get with the snapdragon sdk. But was not succesful. So my question is will Izat work on Xperia Ion. I think the chipset is Qualcomm MSM8260 Snapdragon and the android version is ICS.

Mohsin

• Up0
  • Down0
charper Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2013-03-26 16:15

Moshin,

Best way to determine of the device supports the IZat enhanced location feature is to use the getFeatureSupported method in the QCLocationManager class.  It will return a bit mask with the bit set to "on" if the feature is supported.

There are three distinct features to be aware of:

I hope that helps.

-Cary

• Up0
  • Down0
Steve L Moderator
Posted: Wed, 2013-03-27 09:39

Hi Mohsin,

Actually that device pre-dates the Snapdragon SDK detection for Izat, however depending on the version of the software on the phone, it may be taking advantage of Izat already.  Can we get more information on your device?  Is it a T-Mobile device?  Did it come with ICS pre-installed or was it upgraded, and do you know when?

Thanks,
-Steve

• Up0
  • Down0
mohsinbangalore
Posted: Sat, 2013-03-30 07:02

Hi

While I debug on the device the sample program provided with snapdragon sdk breaks at this line  mQCLocationManager = new QCLocationManager(getActivity());and the logcat shows  QCLocationManager quipc - null capabilities - null. The line proceeds well in the emulator but it breaks while debugging on the device. But even if Izat is not present in the mobile shouldn't it be able to initialize QCLocationManager? Or else how can we write the code to first check whether a device is izat enabled or not? 

Mohsin

• Up0
  • Down0
mohsinbangalore
Posted: Sat, 2013-03-30 07:23

in the page 

https://developer.qualcomm.com/mobile-development/mobile-technologies/sn...

it is written 

" IZat is already embedded in the Android architecture (4.0.3 and newer) at the hardware level,"

" IZat location engines are built into every Snapdragon, Gobi, and APQ processor, so it’s easy to use them for enhanced criteria-based location, geofencing and indoor positioning."

and in the same page it is written

Hardware Requirements: Snapdragon MSM8960 or APQ8064

Software Requirements: Jellybean 4.1 and up

So can you clarify

Mohsin

• Up0
  • Down0
mohsinbangalore
Posted: Tue, 2013-04-02 10:43

any update on my question?

• Up0
  • Down0
charper Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2013-04-02 12:51

While the hardware may have the specific chip capability, it does not guarantee that the OEM integrated the corresponding software to enable the hardware capability.  In this specific case, the "QC" classes appear to not be available/supported even though the chipset likely supports the feature.

• Up0
  • Down0
charper Moderator
Posted: Tue, 2013-04-02 14:07

Also, try these steps when trying to run the sample:

1. Select File -> New -> Android Project

2. Select "Create project from existing sample".  Click Next.

3. Select Build Target as the SDK Component you are targeting.

4. Find the sample to open, and click Finish.

5. Create a libs directory in your project's root directory and copy the .jar file of the extension you downloaded from the folder <android-sdk-root-dir>/add-ons/<sdk-extention-name>/libs

• Up0
  • Down0
mohsinbangalore
Posted: Tue, 2013-04-02 19:52

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I had tried that approach to create the libs directory and it was shown in the "referenced library" . But still the problem persisted. 

If the OEM software integration is the issue then I hope that they will address the issue in their future software update so that we can update without resorting to buy a new device.

On your side as qualcomm  you can advice the OEMs to release software updates that integrate their software to the capabilities of the hardware

Mohsin

• Up0
  • Down0
mohsinbangalore
Posted: Thu, 2013-04-11 19:43

Hi steve

Some details about the device

the phone is xperia ion. 

android version 4.0.4

model number LT28h

ICS was preinstalled..And its not a T Mobile

Any thoughts

mohsin

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.