Forums - [SOLVED]Thermal throttling preventing use of stock gpu clock, adreno 320 Galaxy S4

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
[SOLVED]Thermal throttling preventing use of stock gpu clock, adreno 320 Galaxy S4
nfsmw_gr
Posted: Wed, 2013-09-04 08:52

Hi guys.

Not really a dev, but I get really deep when it comes to mobiles and I'm prepared to try lots of ideas and suggestions.

I found out that the adreno 320 gpu on the Galaxy S4 I own fails to use it's stock 450mhz frequency due to thermal throttling.

To prevent possible governor scaling issues I've even used the performance gpu governor and the gpu clock still dropped from 450mhz to 320mhz once the temperature reaches 68C.

Many games lag quite a bit when the clock drops to 320mhz.

Here's my original post from xda developers forum.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=45000446&postcount=3607

Regarding the cpu there's thermal throttling control If you install a custom kernel which is really helpful, but there's no control mechanism when it comes to the gpu.

Is there any way I can use my own thermal limits so I can set them a bit higer or to my own middle frequency step instead of 320mhz?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I managed to solve this as you can see in the next posts.

Take a look here for a full tutorial on what to do excactly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2433045

• Up0
  • Down0
nfsmw_gr
Posted: Wed, 2013-09-04 19:17

Anyone?

I already e-mailed qualcomm a week ago but I have recieved no answer from them untill now.

• Up0
  • Down0
nfsmw_gr
Posted: Wed, 2013-09-04 20:27

If anyone is intrested after 1+1/2 month I found the solution!!
It's a dirty one but it works allright. :)

I set

/sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/min_pwrlevel

to 0, out of curiosity since max was already 0, and guess what?
The gpu clock remained at 504mhz all the time, even after 68C! 

The dirty solution I have right now is a ScriptManager widget on my homescreen which I run when I want to play a heavy game and another one which disables this and returns the min to 4.

Try it if you have an i9505, it works great! :)

• Up0
  • Down0
sahin
Posted: Fri, 2014-09-05 08:41

Hi,

I wanted to ask how you managed to measure the GPU temperature.

Based on my experiences on the MSM8974 phone, I saw the CPU was throttling when it reached to around 90 C. There are around 12 hardware thermal sensors that can be accessed throught thermal sysfs but I am not sure about the mapping of those sensors on the hardware.

Best

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.