Forums - Depth texture issues

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Depth texture issues
step_jac
Posted: Tue, 2013-05-21 13:49

Hello Adreno devs,

We're in the midst of development of our next title and are in the process of getting things up and running on our array of Adreno devices devices (Sony LT26i with Adreno 220 and BlackBerry Z10 for Adreno 225). We are targetting Adreno 220+ as the 205 GPU doesn't quite cut it for our particular app.

It seems as though on the current LT26i firmware, there is an issue with the Adreno 220's implementation of GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil. Our current titles requires both depth and color targets be textures for postFX, and also requires stencilling. However, no binding solution can generate a valid framebuffer.

1 - GL_RGBA/GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE color + GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES/GL_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_OES depth-stencil yields GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT (as per the usage example at http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/EXT/packed_depth_stencil.txt but non mipmapped of course).
2 - GL_RGBA/GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE color + GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT/GL_UNSIGNED_INT depth + GL_STENCIL_INDEX8 stencil render buffer yields GL_FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED.

Removing the stencil buffer from 2 resolves the issue, while solution 1 works on other Adreno 225 device (BB Z10) we've tried out. Given that this seems to be fine on the 225, I suspect the driver branch has not been propagated to Sony devices. Is this the case, and if so, are there any possible workarounds?

The second issue which we've noticed in the past on the 220 and the 225 seems to be a case of the driver misinterpreting depth bit depth when changing between 16bit and 24bit depth render targets. It seems in some cases, depth is written/tested against at the wrong bit resolution causing for both erroneous depth comparison and writes.

Many thanks,
Stephane
  • Up0
  • Down0
mhfeldma Moderator
Posted: Thu, 2013-05-23 07:13

Stephane..

Thanks for reporting this finding.  Do you have any build information on your Sony LT26i (Xperia) device that's reported in the About phone section?  Also is there a test apk you can dropbox that we can look closer at?

-mark

• Up0
  • Down0
step_jac
Posted: Thu, 2013-05-23 16:53

Hi Mark,

It's the 6.1.A.2.45 build of 4.0.4.

I'd be happy to provide a APK illustrating the issues. How did you want to set that up?

Best,

Stephane

• Up0
  • Down0
mhfeldma Moderator
Posted: Fri, 2013-05-24 06:53

Stephane - that would be great if you have the apk.  If you can put on a dropbox, we'll download it.  Otherwise I can provide an email.

-mark

• Up0
  • Down0
step_jac
Posted: Fri, 2013-05-24 12:40

Hi Mark,

We picked up a series of alternate Adreno devices ranging from 205 to 320 and it seems the first issue regarding incomplete render targets  happens on devices running device version 2184622 and older. The second issue regarding bit precision happens on the 320 using driver version CL@3050818.

Is there a way to get a private transfer setup as our organization cannot at this point post a publicly visible APK. However, it is not a problem to share this privately with Qualcomm for debugging purposes (I assume this would be under confidence). If there's a way we can get in touch out of forum, please let me know.

Best,

Stephane 

• Up0
  • Down0
or Register

Opinions expressed in the content posted here are the personal opinions of the original authors, and do not necessarily reflect those of Qualcomm Incorporated or its subsidiaries (“Qualcomm”). The content is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to be an endorsement or representation by Qualcomm or any other party. This site may also provide links or references to non-Qualcomm sites and resources. Qualcomm makes no representations, warranties, or other commitments whatsoever about any non-Qualcomm sites or third-party resources that may be referenced, accessible from, or linked to this site.